Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

496 Extra Summer Prop??

Looking for ideas for a good summer prop for my 496 (250 proxs). Boat runs really good with the 25 Tempest Plus, but is never great out of the hole with the 2-12' talons. Add in temps 95-100 and it becomes a dog out of the hole especially with water in livewells. I'm thinking about a second prop for summer months - what would be a good suggestion "based on real life experience preferably"

2. Banned
    Never had a Charger, but a 24 Bravo might be the ticket if you can find someone to let you try one. Have you tried a 24 tempest?

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Had a 24 bravo super good hole shot as grout said.

4. Banned
    What's your p2p?

5. Member
    I just put a new Bravo 25p on mine this weekend for the exact reason you state. I'm going to fill up both wells this weekend and run it but the little a I was able to try it Saturday it was a vast improvement and jumped out the hole. My 25p Tempest is great except when the Texas heat kicks in.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The bravo is a band aid prop it solves most of the mercury Optimax 250 problems.

7. Member
    Well let me start looking for a band aid.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don’t mean to be so negative but the 250 has no low end .I could sugar coat it.

9. Member
    Especially when it's hotter than Hades like it has been here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I don’t mean to be so negative but the 250 has no low end .I could sugar coat it.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    I've been playing around with different props and nothing out performed by 25 Tempest plus. Decided to buy a 24-Fury 4 from Rothwell and wow what a difference. I knew CenTx said the Bravo XS made a huge difference for him so I figured I would try the Fury 4 and if it didn't work, I could exchange the prop with Rothwell for a Bravo XS. Well, the Fury 4 made a huge difference. There is nothing easy about getting on plane in the Texas heat with 2-12' talons, gas, and full livewells. Just for reference, I ran my tempest 25 yesterday too.
    Holeshot - (tempest - 6 seconds), (Fury 4 - 4.5 seconds)
    0-45mph - (tempest - 14.5 seconds), (Fury 4 - 12.1 seconds)
    My tempest does best with 1 plug out, and 2 med plugs in. I ran the Fury with 6 plugs out and 2 in, but didn't experience any blowout so I'll try without any plugs and might get even better hole shot.
    The Fury also had much better midrange throttle response and bite in sharp turns. On the downside, I did lose 1.5 mph. The tempest was 71.5 (5600 rpms) which is about my normal during summer months. During the cooler months I can run consistent high 73's and the occasional 74. Yesterday, the Fury 4 barely hit 70 (5900 rpms). My p2p is 2.75". I can go higher, but didn't necessarily like the way the boat handled in bigger waves with the tempest any higher. But I'll move the fury up and down a little to see if anything changes and maybe I can get some of that 1.5 back. I really liked the way the boat handled and responded in the mid range cruising speeds with the Fury 4.
    Hole shot is tough enough with 2-12' talons and rear live wells, then add the Texas summer heat and expectations just change. But I'm very satisfied with my first trip with the Fury 4 and CenTX496 said he got very good results with the Bravo 1XS. I know there are a lot of tempest guys on here, but if you aren't happy with hole shot and don't mind losing 1-2 mph then give the Fury 4 or Bravo XS a try. They make a difference.

11. Member
    Great report Barbarian! I am glad to hear it is performing better.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Great report Barbarian! I am glad to hear it is performing better.
    Thanks. It’s always performed great, but I’m never completely satisfied. I just enjoy the puzzle and experimenting with trying to get something to improve. My biggest complaint is this boat just gets boring. So easy to drive all the time and fishes even better - wind, shallow, deep. I have about a 6-8 month affection limit, but I’m 7 months in and love it more now than at the beginning.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

How could you not love it
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    How easy they are to drive is key!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post

How could you not love it
    Man it looks so dark blue in that pic. Prohunt said it more than once, but the blue does appear to change colors from 1 day to next depending on the natural light that day.

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

You can see how it changes on the lower sides it’s darker than the top
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Looks much brighter on the lake than in pictures

18. Member
    I've said it before, but I wasn't a big fan of that blue until I saw it in person and then I loved it! The best view was with a rope tied to it behind my rig! LOL!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    I've said it before, but I wasn't a big fan of that blue until I saw it in person and then I loved it! The best view was with a rope tied to it behind my rig! LOL!
    I don’t see the humor

20. Member
    Just kidding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast