Yet ANOTHER X19 prop question

Every boat is different so I'll ask anyway. I bought a 2005 X19 Tournament Series dual console with a VMAX HPDI 175 a couple weeks ago. It came with a Powertech 23 pitch 4 blade prop. With a half tank of gas, empty livewells, a light gear load, and me and my buddy (230 pounds each) I am consistently getting 60 point something GPS @5200 RPM. All I can turn is 5200. I don't want to run on the rev limiter for 1 MPH but I would like to get 5500 RPMs and whatever speed that gives me. I had my last boat's prop worked by Mark Croxton and won't hesitate to send him another, but which one? Thanks for any help.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

2. Member
    Call Greg at Rothwell Marine. I have a 2015 X-19 with a HPDI 175 and just bought a 26" Bravo 1 XS upon his recommendation for what I wanted from the boat. Excellent hull lift and RPM at 5500, I am still fine tuning the PTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikesb1 View Post
    Call Greg at Rothwell Marine. I have a 2015 X-19 with a HPDI 175 and just bought a 26" Bravo 1 XS upon his recommendation for what I wanted from the boat. Excellent hull lift and RPM at 5500, I am still fine tuning the PTP.
    Man that's a big jump from a 23! I know you are still fine tuning, but what kind of speeds and holeshot have you seen so far at 5500?
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

4. Member
    I also have a Power tech 23" 3 blade, 5200 RPM at 60 MPH, but no hull lift. The boat also came with a 26" Trophy Plus, 5400 RPM at 66 MPH in cool weather and 5100 RPM at 62 MPH this summer. Greg recommended the Bravo 1 because I wanted to stay with a 4 blade. Per Greg and others, the Bravo 1 is light on pitch and performs more like a 24" pitch. The hole shot on both 4 blade props is FUN!

I also have a Power tech 23" 3 blade, 5200 RPM at 60 MPH, but no hull lift. The boat also came with a 26" Trophy Plus, 5400 RPM at 66 MPH in cool weather and 5100 RPM at 62 MPH this summer. Greg recommended the Bravo 1 because I wanted to stay with a 4 blade. Per Greg and others, the Bravo 1 is light on pitch and performs more like a 24" pitch. The hole shot on both 4 blade props is FUN!
    The 4 blade PT launches like a rocket but I'm only getting 5200 RPM @ WOT. It really feels like it's being held back. Probably lack of lift and the PT just being a slug. What part of MS are you in?
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

6. Member
    Purvis, just south of Hattiesburg

7. Joe4d
    Seems everyone of these threads say the powertech is junk on this hull.

Purvis, just south of Hattiesburg
    Dang. I was hoping you were further north. I was going to try to talk you into meeting at a lake and testing some props.
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    Seems everyone of these threads say the powertech is junk on this hull.
    That seems to be the consensus. It makes you wonder why there are so many of them floating around. Maybe they work great on some setups.
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

10. Joe4d
    couplemore payments on my truck then I will be ordering an Xpress from someone near VA, probably greensboro NC. Will specify the prop I want, or have it deleted and dealer install a new one, From what I gather Xpress ships these with the Power tecs.. Plan is the inline 4 200 with a SHO prop or Tempest. I hear it rides a bit better than the Fury.

11. Member
    Good advise so far ......... most of the Powertechs are junk on these hulls. When I had a small block 200 HPDI VMax (same motor as y'all's 175's), I found that the 25" Trophy w/cav ring was the best all around prop. I liked it better than my 25" Tempest and 25" TXP. As a matter of fact, when I traded her in last month I left the Trophy on it so the next person would already have a boat that runs good, hydraulic jackplate and all.

One thing I would do is make sure you're getting full throttle when you push the throttle all the way. Thus take the breather off and make sure the butterflies are laying flat (open) when you hold the throttle all the way. THE MOTOR DOES NOT have to be running to do this. I only mention this b/c a 175 HPDI shouldn't have any problem spinning a 23" prop. The only Powertech that I know of that has a reputation for being 'stiff' is the RKR4 prop (which is a Raker clone) ...... which Xpress doesn't put on them. Powertech's TR04 ( a Trophy clone) can be a little stiff, but it's mainly the cupping that's in them. With all that said, TR04 runs good on some boats (I had one on a Skeeter once), but not on others. The Merc Trophy Plus just runs good on hyperlift hulls of all lengths. I've also heard good things with the Bravo 1, years ago a guy on here was running a X19/F150 with one.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    Good advise so far ......... most of the Powertechs are junk on these hulls. When I had a small block 200 HPDI VMax (same motor as y'all's 175's), I found that the 25" Trophy w/cav ring was the best all around prop. I liked it better than my 25" Tempest and 25" TXP. As a matter of fact, when I traded her in last month I left the Trophy on it so the next person would already have a boat that runs good, hydraulic jackplate and all.

One thing I would do is make sure you're getting full throttle when you push the throttle all the way. Thus take the breather off and make sure the butterflies are laying flat (open) when you hold the throttle all the way. THE MOTOR DOES NOT have to be running to do this. I only mention this b/c a 175 HPDI shouldn't have any problem spinning a 23" prop. The only Powertech that I know of that has a reputation for being 'stiff' is the RKR4 prop (which is a Raker clone) ...... which Xpress doesn't put on them. Powertech's TR04 ( a Trophy clone) can be a little stiff, but it's mainly the cupping that's in them. With all that said, TR04 runs good on some boats (I had one on a Skeeter once), but not on others. The Merc Trophy Plus just runs good on hyperlift hulls of all lengths. I've also heard good things with the Bravo 1, years ago a guy on here was running a X19/F150 with one.
    Thank you for the info! A lot of stuff to consider there but I will definitely check those butterflies first!
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

13. Member
    had an xpress, don't own it any longer(thank goodness) try the 4 blade Turbo...... I had a 20 pitch on an 18' boat with 115 4 stroke. Powertech is garbage on this hull.... went through roughly 12-14 props to get tuned in properly..... glad to have someone around the house to let me try props to see what was best.

14. Member
    THIS> IN 24P Trophy w/cav ring was the best all around prop

15. Member
    what setback and ptp are yall running with the 25 trophy

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster988 View Post
    what setback and ptp are yall running with the 25 trophy
    8 inch set back 3 5/8 ptp