Break in time on this motor.....4-12-2018

In March of 2017 my buddy Ron blew up his outboard on the Ranger. He was heading from Noland's Point toward the main lake of Bull Shoals, right down the middle of Big Creek, when #6 rod came right through the side of the block. He experienced catastophic motor failure to say the least. It busted a softball sized hole through the side of the block and took out the throttle and shift cable slide assembly on the way out, along with the lower cowling pan and the front pan bracket. In a split second at 6000 rpm's its amazing what damage can occur. At the end of August he asked me to help him put a reman power head on it and bring it back to life. Before it could be rebuilt though, every single part that we wanted to try to reuse had to be maticulously cleaned. When it blew it sprayed fine metal fragments everywhere, inside and outside of the engine. To say it was a mess would be the understatement of the year. I spent weeks cleaning everything while we waited to the fuel injectors to be cleaned a calibrated. I took tons of pictures before we tore it down and I followed the Mercury shop manual to a TEE but could not get it to run right. After weeks, even months, of redoing the whole thing 2 or three times thinking I must be missing something, I finally decided to pull one of the heads to check the condition of the powerhead we had purchased. To my amazement I found that it had been assembled with the pistons on the wrong sides......oh my gosh. I never had a chance and was beating myself up for months. Anyway, we had the powerhead redone and in three days it was purring like a kitten in my driveway. Now we are in the process of breaking it in. Can't wait to get to the point where we can let all 200 horses run at the same time.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 06-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.

That's very interesting considering the same exact thing happened to me on the same exact motor back in 2000 I bought from a well known dealer I will not mention in your neck of the woods! I purchased a 94 ChampioN from a dealer that said he did a rebuild on the power head because of the oil pump failing... I fought this thing for a few weeks before contacting him and having the look at it... He did something else to it, but I cant remember what and I picked the boat back up... I knew something was wrong when I got outran by a pontoon with a 90HP on it and it had aluminum powder in the prop hub... I brought it back to him and that's when he found the pistons in the wrong sides... He made it good, but it windowed the block 9 months later so I bolted a new 2001 200 EFI on it and gained a payment, but got rid of the headaches...

The absence of head aches is worth a lot. Glad you're back on the water.....