Raymarine Axiom 9V with 3D RV t’ducer versus Simrad GO7 XSE (maybe 2) with Totalscan

[Note: Posting similar threads both here and in Lowrance forum]

Hey guys! So, I've been running since last September a Simrad GO7 XSE with Totalscan on my pontoon boat, which I'm now selling (FF will be included 'cause the boat is set up perfectly for striper fishing here in VA on Smith Mtn Lake, and hopefully will command a little bit of premium as currently rigged)... Selling the 'toon 'cause I am the proud owner (!!!!) of a 2018 Nitro Z19 Sport, which is a little more "fish mode" for me while still keeping family happy. The Nitro came with a console-mounted cheapo Hook5 with an actually-pretty-good in-hull mounted Lowrance DSI downscan transducer. I'll probably keep the Hook and transducer, as is, 'cause it reads on plane up to the Nitro's 53mph top speed. But, it's time to add some upgrades.

I've really enjoyed the features on the Simrad GO7 XSE, and have generally been happy with the Totalscan transducer. I haven't had any complaints, but am always looking for the next "latest, greatest" that I can afford, always wondering whether my current setup could be improved. I've read up on the new Raymarine Axiom 9V with RealVision 3D transducer, and think the unit seems to have a great deal of potential (which SW upgrades apparently continue to unlock). I'm a big fan of touchscreens, so it seems like the Simrad GO units and Raymarine Axiom units would be best choices, given current sales promos.

West Marine currently has two of the best deals I've seen:
    1. Raymarine Axiom 9V with a free RealVision 3D RV-100 transducer for $1,249.
    2. Simrad GO7 XSE with Totalscan transducer for $499. (I paid $700 last September for the same).

Aside from the 7" vs 9" screen size difference, what do you guys think about these units, from a "best bang for buck" perspective?

If I went with the Axiom, I would keep the Hook installed in console and mount the 9" Axiom above it.

If I went with the Simrad, I would try to see if I could get the unit to work with BOTH the existing in-hull transducer (for readings on plane) and the transom-mounted Totalscan transducer, via Y-split – in which case, it would replace the Hook in the console. Otherwise, I'd keep the Hook installed in console and mount the 7" Simrad above it. Given the $499 promo price, I could buy two Simrads (with transducers) for less than the Axiom – mounting 2 in console, or 1 in console and 1 on bow (with a t’ducer on transom, and t’ducer on trolling motor).

Any advice? THANK YOU.

2. Member
    Depends on what you want out of the unit / system and what views (sonar, down, side, 3D) you need and how many transducers or modules. Axiom has an all-in-one transducer

Specifications Go 7 AXIOM
    Processor Dual core ??? Quad Core
    SD Card Storage 1 MicroSD slot 1 MicroSD slot
    NMEA 2000 Connectivity 1 x NMEA 2000 Micro-C port NMEA 2000 connect on power cord
    Update rate 10 Hz 10 Hz
    Screen Brightness 1200 nits 1200 nits
    Warranty Period 2 Years 2 yr - 3rd yr free once registered

3. Member
    Thanks for the spec comparison!