Cheap Laser Guide Alignment Tool

Just made this one today and it works great! Hopefully the photos will explain the build but if not ask away. Laser was $14 at Lowes.

2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

Are you using this to place guides - or straighten after being wrapped?

I ask because most set ups like this encounter issues with the closest guides blocking the laser - esp on spinning rods. It works real well when you mount the laser above the rod and let it shoot down on the blank length ways.

3. Member
    If the laser " blocks" the closest guide, start at the end of rod and work towards the handle.
    Ive never built one, but just saying.

4. Member
    I am using it for both cidgrad. I have not tried it on a spinning rod yet so you may have a valid point there but, it works with no issues on a casting rod with all of the guides in place. When I get a spare minute I will mount it on a spinning rod to see if there are issues.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

Quote Originally Posted by rude150 View Post
    If the laser " blocks" the closest guide, start at the end of rod and work towards the handle.
    Ive never built one, but just saying.
    That doesn't help aligning guides after being wrapped

6. Member
    OK just put it on a store bought spinning rod and it works more than good enough to accomplish the mission...some of the guides had the laser light hitting both the top and bottom of the rings, some were illuminated at the top only and some from the bottom only. The way I see it, if the light is hitting centerline of the guide whether it is top or bottom then I'm good to go.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Banned
    I've found the eye balls work the best. Lasers shoot perfectly straight, your blank is not always perfectly straight.