Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    What rumors? I'm glad I bought a V8 tired of messing with oil loud ass rattling 2 stroke my new V8 4-stroke is 10 times the motor my 2 stroke was , Better Hole shot, better mid-range, 4 to 4 mph faster, better fuel economy, if you want I'll take you for a ride in my boat you'll see the difference for yourself I was amazed. There is no comparison apples for apples horsepower for horsepower you cannot compare the V8 four stroke to Mercury 2 stroke
    Now if only we were going back to Hartwell this fall..... I'd GLADLY like to see that puppy!

My wife (of all people) keeps bringing videos to me to watch of the new Merc. She's sold! Now it's about what I can get out of a 6 year old, 273 hour 2-stroke.
    Well..... that and perhaps talk her into a 300.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

2. Member
    I'm pretty sure that for several years now, a TWO STROKE rated at 250 HP+10% NTE is going to be really close to a FOUR STROKE rated at 250 HP+10% NTE.

Both motors are 250HP NTE (Not To Exceed) and by law can not produce more than 10% of the rated HP (motor decal). This means that both motors will most likely be within a few HP.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    What rumors? I'm glad I bought a V8 tired of messing with oil loud ass rattling 2 stroke my new V8 4-stroke is 10 times the motor my 2 stroke was , Better Hole shot, better mid-range, 4 mph faster, better fuel economy, if you want I'll take you for a ride in my boat you'll see the difference for yourself I was amazed. There is no comparison apples for apples horsepower for horsepower you cannot compare the V8 four stroke to Mercury 2 stroke
    Things like the new motor was running 78 mph on Nitro Z20. The new motor was going to be a torque monster and then comes out with a 23 pitch prop and running the same 1.75 gears. I am sure it’s a great motor but nothing compared to what some people were predicting. I did read the fine print about improved gas consumption. It states 10% improvement at cruising rpm but no mention of WFO. I say it’s a great motor but nothing close to what some ding dongs were guessing and spewing. They were making assumptions like your 10 times better statement. I sure hope it is but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I'm pretty sure that for several years now, a TWO STROKE rated at 250 HP+10% NTE is going to be really close to a FOUR STROKE rated at 250 HP+10% NTE.

Both motors are 250HP NTE (Not To Exceed) and by law can not produce more than 10% of the rated HP (motor decal). This means that both motors will most likely be within a few HP.
    I am equally confident you are 100% right
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    Things like the new motor was running 78 mph on Nitro Z20. The new motor was going to be a torque monster and then comes out with a 23 pitch prop and running the same 1.75 gears. I am sure it’s a great motor but nothing compared to what some people were predicting. I did read the fine print about improved gas consumption. It states 10% improvement at cruising rpm but no mention of WFO. I say it’s a great motor but nothing close to what some ding dongs were guessing and spewing. They were making assumptions like your 10 times better statement. I sure hope it is but only time will tell.
    Wow Zeke... tell us how you really feel.

Are you enjoying your new 4-stroke?

Just to note- the prop pitch has more to do with the setup and the gearcase used. It doesn't necessarily apply to the TORQUE the engine produces.

Just read a pretty simple statement yesterday that sums it up pretty nicely:

"Horsepower is similar to the speed at which you approach the wall you're running into...

Torque is how far you carry that wall with you as your run through it".

I have not seen any documentation of break-in power limiting features (nor witnessed any evidence of it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    That came from me, and I shouldnt have posted it. I got the info from a merc tech but I havent been able to verify it from any other source.

Maybe Don will chime in.
    Ha, that's funny. Now everybody is going to run off with the whole de-tune thing like its the gospel truth and never even see this little post right here. Will be interesting to see all the "facts" that pop up around this.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Don laid it to rest in # 45:

Quote Originally Posted by European Marine
    I have not seen any documentation of break-in power limiting features (nor witnessed any evidence of it).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Definitely not true.

9. Member
    Here is a video prop change test on the new motor. I think the motor is fine if people will just run them with the prop that come on them.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Wishful thinking from a new not so proud owner would be my guess. Some people went off the deep end believing all the outrageous rumors and hype about bottom end and top end performance improvement over the 2 strokes and it just ain’t happening.
    There was zero wishful thinking from the owner, he was all smiles as the 250R pushed his loaded 21' boat to 91 mph in 100 degree air

I will add that there was way too much speculation on these engines and not enough information released by Mercury.

And I do agree, the engine was loosening up, little by little each day. We ended the test session with 7 hours on the new engine and it had zero struggles putting a 29 Hydromotive on the limiter.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

What prop did you end up with?
    Triton 20X,2022 225 pro xs four stroke,
    Mega 360-helix G4N Di-helix 10,helix 10 G2N SI, Solix 10 G3N, mega live

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Here is a video prop change test on the new motor. I think the motor is fine if people will just run them with the prop that come on them.
    Remember- engines do NOT come with a propeller. The propeller is spec'd and installed during the rigging process (or afterwards).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not necessarily the case, and far too in depth with variables to get into.
    definitely so!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123