Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Looks like my battery charger bit the dust.

Noticed the red light was on for my cranking battery. Trolling motor lights were green. Checked my battery and it only had 8.7 volts. Disconnected everything off the cranking battery and hooked up a separate trickle charger. After 18 hours the voltage was down to less than 6 volts.

Took my X2 to Batteries and Bulbs and they said it checked bad. Gave me a new one and got it installed. Charger light still red so I just turned everything off. Had to go out of town, but have a Toledo Bend trip set for next Wednesday. Thinking I should just get a separate charger to use on the cranking battery until I can get my factory installed one checked out? 2016 921 Pro Xp bought new in Dec of 16. I bought it in January. Had a new Atlas installed and it quit on my second trip. Last trip was the Ultrex cable breaking. Just got it back and the battery/charger is shot.

Its starting to suck owning a bass boat.

2. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Once you get it straightened out, you'll love owning that boat again. It does suck when your down time is in mid season tho.
    I just got an X2 for crankin battery and it needed a good charge as well. It took longer than expected, but once it's full you're in business.
    I have a Dual Pro Piggyback charger that is not an on board charger. After a full 8-10 hrs on water, I'm charged back up in like 3 hrs.
    Dual pro also makes an awesome on board charger. if you need one you should give them a look. Great customer service too.
    Good luck!

3. Member
    Which red lights? And did you check the fuse? They give a series of flashing lights that are errors. Check the fuse and make sure the fuse holder has not come partially separated.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdendy View Post
    Which red lights? And did you check the fuse? They give a series of flashing lights that are errors. Check the fuse and make sure the fuse holder has not come partially separated.
    +1 Exactly what red lights are on or flashing?

5. Member
    Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. The red light is the one on the onboard charger, that’s for the cranking battery. It’s so close to a trolling motor battery that I can’t read it. I’ll remove a battery when I get back home so I can read it better.

I assumed Red it was the battery, since a second charger didn’t do anything for it. I'll check the fuse when I get home. Maybe when the battery died it blew the charger fuse. Batteries and Bulbs confirmed the battery is bad. I just didn’t have any more time to investigate as we were heading to a friends ranch for the 4th. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Just to confirm, do you have a dual pro brand charger?
    if so here are the codes to look for.

RED BLINKING LED………….NO BATTERY DETECTED This indication occurs whenever the charger circuitry cannot detect a battery. The charger circuitry will not allow charge current to flow under this condition. With the AC power supply cord unplugged, check the connection to the batteries for proper polarity (black wire to negative or -). Also check for corrosion free secure connections to the battery. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.
    2 RED BLINKING LEDS………..FORMING STAGE TIMEOUT SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the battery voltage has not risen above 1.75 volts per cell within the first 3 hours of charging. This indicates a possible battery problem and the charge cycle has been terminated at this point. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.
    3 RED BLINKING LEDS………..OVERALL TIMER SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the charger has not completed the charge cycle within the allowable factory set time period. This indicates a possible battery problem and the charge cycle has been terminated at this point. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.
    4 RED BLINKING LEDS………..INTERNAL OVERTEMP SHUTDOWN This indication occurs if the charger circuitry has detected operating temperatures inside the charger enclosure that are above factory specified levels. This could indicate a possible charger problem and the charge cycle has been terminated. The charger may be reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the AC power supply cord. Please call the factory at 1-800-742-2740 for further assistance.
    5 RED BLINKING LEDS………..OVERVOLTAGE PROTECTION This indication occurs if the charger circuitry has detected that the output circuitry is possibly defective. Please discontinue use of the charger and call the factory at 1-800-742-2740.

But also ​from my ownexperience if you have one red light on after hours of charging , that bank of the charger is bad
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    No blinking LED. Just a constant red. Don’t know the brand, since I couldn’t really see much without removing a trolling motor battery. Didn’t have enough time to investigate before hitting the road Friday.

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Mine has been fine until today. I only get two red solid lights (30%) on one of the trolling motor batteries and all other banks are green. Boat is 2018 picked up in February. Does this possibly indicate battery issue or bank on charger? I’ll switch banks tomorrow to see if that works
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Mine has been fine until today. I only get two red solid lights (30%) on one of the trolling motor batteries and all other banks are green. Boat is 2018 picked up in February. Does this possibly indicate battery issue or bank on charger? I’ll switch banks tomorrow to see if that works
    If switching banks doesn't confirm anything, best way to know is to hook to a single charger to see if it takes a charge. If so, it's your charger, if not it's the battery.
    Be sure single charger is set for deep cell/agm/marine. You prolly already know all of this. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    If switching banks doesn't confirm anything, best way to know is to hook to a single charger to see if it takes a charge. If so, it's your charger, if not it's the battery.
    Be sure single charger is set for deep cell/agm/marine. You prolly already know all of this. Good luck!
    I've found the standard Dual Pro Charger to be hyper sensitive about battery condition. If it goes several hours without a battery charging above a certain level, it will stop charging that battery. Hitting that battery with a manual charger to make it surpass the no go threshold will allow the Dual Pro to finish charging.

Phoenix Jim, if you have wet cells, that charger really cooks the water out of them. You've owned the new rig for a while now, it might be a good time to top them off. The charger is looking for a reason not to charge them.

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haybo View Post
    I've found the standard Dual Pro Charger to be hyper sensitive about battery condition. If it goes several hours without a battery charging above a certain level, it will stop charging that battery. Hitting that battery with a manual charger to make it surpass the no go threshold will allow the Dual Pro to finish charging.

Phoenix Jim, if you have wet cells, that charger really cooks the water out of them. You've owned the new rig for a while now, it might be a good time to top them off. The charger is looking for a reason not to charge them.
    Good info about the onboard charger. Just looked this morning and it’s fully charged. Just took much longer than other batteries
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    yep if voltage doesn't rise 1.75 volts in 3hrs it will go into shutdown for that bank
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    How do you get it out of shutdown mode?

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgfan58 View Post
    How do you get it out of shutdown mode?
    after you unplug it for a little while and plug back in it will start over, its always best to unplug and swap wires between batteries and plug back in
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Had 2 blinking red lights on mine Sunday after a short trip on Saturday morning.....like Drew saved the day to post the codes, didnt have to go dig thru my box looking for the manual...........think i'm on order to get 2 new batteries in the very near future....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

16. Member
    MIne has done as describe by Phoenix Jim. I always check a couple of things.

1. The leads at the fuses have not come separated. ( My wires were so tidy and tight ) they pulled apart just slightly after a rough tow or rough ride. I undid some of the zip ties and created a little more slack.

2. If I have fished a tournament and ran live wells and electronics all day long I have had to mine show only a couple of lights. I unplugged let it reset and charged right back up. I have this happen on the cranking side more than my trolling motor side.

3. I have seen also if you ran that cranking battery hard on a Tournament day that it takes longer than normal to get it all the way charged.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

17. Member
    Charger is a Dual Pro Delta Volt 4 bank. Fuses were fine. Charged battery all the way with a separate charger. Plugged in the Dual Pro again, and solid red lights all the way across. Leaving the fuses out for now and charging with a separated charger. I’ll try switching leads around when we get back from the lake. Too much fishing to do now.

I did try taking the fuses out and got a blinking red green light. Did that on one of the trilling Motor batteries and it did the same. Put fuses back in and trolling motor was fine. Cranking battery back to solid red.

18. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Are you saying that as soon as you plugged charger in you got all solid red lights? It takes a dual pro a short time to "read battery condition" for it to turn green.
    I've unhooked mine when it's been all green, hooked it right back up and get all red. A short time later... all green again.
    Have you called Dual Pro?... Home office: 615-471-5300 ... Tech Support:1-800-742-2740. It's in my phone.

19. Member
    My charger is super heat sensitive also. When it gets above 80* it will show the overheat lights on a bank or two almost every time i charge up or it will take forever to charge the batteries. If I put a fan in there blowing on the charger my batteries charge much faster and I get no codes.

20. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    before you call dual pro, get the date and serial # off of the power cord, if its less than 3 years they will make it good
    Last edited by DREWTICK; 07-05-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    info@drewcraft.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast