Question 09 Cougar - 2018 250 Pro XS Setup Question

I have a 2009 Cougar FTD, 8" Slidemaster, 26P Fury with standard 3 vent holes open.

I bought the boat new in 2011 with a 09 250 Pro XS and the boat was completely set up and ran great. I had it to 80 with lighter load and ran high 70's easily with normal load. It had decent hole shot and it didn't have any blow out.

I recently bought a new 2018 Pro XS (one of the last 2 strokes) with the torquemaster II. I kept the Fury 26P. Here is where I went wrong. I didn't record my setup dimensions before the engine was replaced. After the break in period I now am trying to get the setup back to where it should be. I have a really bad blow out as the boat plans off during the holeshot. I have to back way out of the throttle to get it to hookup but once it does and I am on pad it doesn't slip anymore. I have tried to turn sharp at a decent speed adn I get blowout there too.

It also seems to be maxing out in speed at about 72 and 5500 RPM's which to me seems counter intuitive to the blowout. I do know that the motor will continue to free up and performance will get better up to 50 hours but think this is a little low. I am at about 10 hours right now. (Blow out says lower the motor, RPM's say raise it???)

I have taken my time and gotten a good prop to pad measurement. I am 3" below pad. That seems to be enough not to get blowout from what I read and might should go up to start increasing rpms but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this set-up.
    Last edited by wadzilla; 06-29-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wadzilla View Post
    I have a 2009 Cougar FTD, 8" Slidemaster, 26P Fury with standard 3 vent holes open.

I bought the boat new in 2011 with a 09 250 Pro XS and the boat was completely set up and ran great. I had it to 80 with lighter load and ran high 70's easily with normal load. It had decent hole shot and it didn't have any blow out.

I recently bought a new 2018 Pro XS (one of the last 2 strokes) with the torquemaster II. I kept the Fury 26P. Here is where I went wrong. I didn't record my setup dimensions before the engine was replaced. After the break in period I now am trying to get the setup back to where it should be. I have a really bad blow out as the boat plans off during the holeshot. I have to back way out of the throttle to get it to hookup but once it does and I am on pad it doesn't slip anymore. I have tried to turn sharp at a decent speed adn I get blowout there too.

It also seems to be maxing out in speed at about 72 and 5500 RPM's which to me seems counter intuitive to the blowout. I do know that the motor will continue to free up and performance will get better up to 50 hours but think this is a little low. I am at about 10 hours right now. (Blow out says lower the motor, RPM's say raise it???)

I have taken my time and gotten a good prop to pad measurement. I am 3" below pad. That seems to be enough not to get blowout from what I read and might should go up to start increasing rpms but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this set-up.
    Drop the motor 3.75 in for starters, it will probably correct the blow out problems. Then start making 1/4 in adjustments higher until you find the sweet spot. Do this in a narrow time frame on the same day for accurate comparisons. I think you will find the sweet spot to be very close to 3.5
    It is not a matter of the motor getting looser, after the computer has seen the required amount of time at the right conditions it will start running different mapping tables that effect timing, fuel and oil as well as max rpm. I would not be surprised if it picks up another 400 RPM or more
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Your 09 motor was more than likely stronger than the 18 due to epa crap! So you might not get the same results and also may need to get prop reworked or a different one!

Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    Your 09 motor was more than likely stronger than the 18 due to epa crap! So you might not get the same results and also may need to get prop reworked or a different one!
    250 Hp is 250 hp regardless of EPA requirements. Agreed we could get a little more with less controls but then it would not be a 250 either, maybe a 275
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Not really, as they can range from anywhere they desire all the way to 275 HP. Some engines are more than 250 and some are just 250. Today’s Verado is 275 on Premium fuel, while one from 2008 is 250 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    250 Hp is 250 hp regardless of EPA requirements. Agreed we could get a little more with less controls but then it would not be a 250 either, maybe a 275

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Not really, as they can range from anywhere they desire all the way to 275 HP. Some engines are more than 250 and some are just 250. Today’s Verado is 275 on Premium fuel, while one from 2008 is 250 HP.
    I am aware of variable variations in very few cases it has anything to do with EPA though. You kind of helped make my point. In most case we get better overall performance not worse. We have to thank EPA for the technology we have today. I would rather have the newer improvements any day. That has always been the case in outboards such comparing a XS to a non XS or a EFI to a Pro Max
    25 HP usually equates to less than 2.5 mph
    Who would have ever believed 20 years ago the we could achieve the slip numbers we have today.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Update:
    I had to lower the motor to 3 5/8" below pad to get the fury to come out of the hole without blowing out. With this set-up and 26P fury 3-blade and 85 degree water temps I was maxed out at 69 mph and 5500 rpm. Motor new motor would not turn the 26P like the old one. I could get a few more rpms 50 to 75 with extra trim but that is not where the Cougar likes to drive. It is not a nose in the air boat.

Next I have borrowed a 24P Tempest Plus from a friend that has been worked by Mark C. We are guessing it is about a 25P with added cup. I need to go back up with the motor using the tempest and after three or 4 runs ended up at 3 3/8" below pad and my numbers were better. 73 MPH with 5840 rpms. That is me (220lbs) fully loaded with tackle and rods. and both tanks about 75% full. That calculates for me at 3.5% slip if you consider the prop a 24P and 7.5% if you consider it a 25P. Thats why I am guessing it is closer to 25P. I have went up 1/8" more and plan to try again this week. I would like to be able to get closer to 5900. I also have a Mark C worked 25P tempest plus I plan to try as well. I don't think it has as much work done to it as the 24P so they may be similar.

What do you all think about the numbers I am getting now. I figure this is getting close to "It" in warm water. Figure I can get maybe 75 in cooler water.
    09 Basscat Cougar FTD
    2018 250 Pro XS w/24P Tempest (Croxton)
    80# MK Fortrex
    (2) HDS Carbon 12's

East Tennessee - Go Vols!

8. Member
    Ah, the dilemmas with the "wing master" lower unit. It definitely negatively affects the hole shot. This is where a hydraulic plate really comes in handy. On the top end the Wingmaster is much more efficient with less slip than the Gen 1 tourquemaster. Which looks like what you are seeing. You may try plugging a hole at a time on your Fury prop which may help the blow out on hole shot. I think you will find a 25" Fury a much better alternative than the 26". Very few people with the Cougar, Puma, Eyra can run the 26" fury year round on the newer models. I am even running a 24" Fury in the summer time on my Eyra. It's a little slower but still achieves 76-77 mph top speeds with much better hole shot, midrange, and all around responsiveness. Its a tough compromise when you know you have an 80 mph rig but I've found I'm much happier all around with the smaller prop.

With 2 People, livewells full, 24" Fury heavy load its a solid 74-75 mph rig.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post

the older one could have really been a 275 and the newer one is truly a 250? due to epa rules
    Last edited by mactlman; 07-28-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    I think the Verado 250 Pro is 275 (10% SAE variance allowance) not the regular Verado 250. Don’t think the had a Verado 250 Pro in 2008 just the regular Verado 250 and the regular Verado 275.
    Last edited by Sports1; 07-23-2018 at 07:43 AM.

11. Member
    So Update..
    Same 24P Tempest Plus that has been worked by Mark C. I went up 1/8" more. Now at approx 3.25". Had a little more blow out on hole shot but not horrible but man the number got better with that 1/8" than I expected. ~ same air temp and exact same load in boat. Fully tourney loaded and gas. 74.5 MPH with 5880 rpms. Gained 1.5 mph 40 rpms and could run the boat slightly less trim. Much easier to drive at 70. I am guessing it had another 1 to 2 mph and 50 - 75 rpms but I was not in an area that had a long straight stretch where I could let the big dog eat a little longer. That calculates for me at 2.4% slip if you consider the prop a 24P and 6.3% if you consider it a 25P. I am thinking that's pretty good. What do you guys think?

FYI numbers are Mecury Smart Craft Vessel View numbers so the rpms should be dead on. GPS speed verified on cell phone and HDS gps.
    09 Basscat Cougar FTD
    2018 250 Pro XS w/24P Tempest (Croxton)
    80# MK Fortrex
    (2) HDS Carbon 12's

East Tennessee - Go Vols!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadzilla View Post
    So Update..
    Same 24P Tempest Plus that has been worked by Mark C. I went up 1/8" more. Now at approx 3.25". Had a little more blow out on hole shot but not horrible but man the number got better with that 1/8" than I expected. ~ same air temp and exact same load in boat. Fully tourney loaded and gas. 74.5 MPH with 5880 rpms. Gained 1.5 mph 40 rpms and could run the boat slightly less trim. Much easier to drive at 70. I am guessing it had another 1 to 2 mph and 50 - 75 rpms but I was not in an area that had a long straight stretch where I could let the big dog eat a little longer. That calculates for me at 2.4% slip if you consider the prop a 24P and 6.3% if you consider it a 25P. I am thinking that's pretty good. What do you guys think?

FYI numbers are Mecury Smart Craft Vessel View numbers so the rpms should be dead on. GPS speed verified on cell phone and HDS gps.
    Definitely running where it should be with that Tempest.
    As stated above, the 26 Fury doesn't run as well on the newer motors. If you want to go with a Fury the 24 or 25 Fury is the way to go. Especially in higher temps.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    I'm thinking you keep letting the big dog eat for long stretches during break in and you might be buying a 2019!