Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone been to Venice lately?

Taking my son for his graduation present Aug 2-5. Went last year the same time frame. After reds mostly, since hes never fished for them. I am watching the river level close. 5.57 today and i hope it continues to fall. My main question is , has anyone been down and catching reds anywhere closer to venice? I dont want to bother with the wagon wheel area, but i have been looking at Baptiste Collette. I would be glad to NOT run 20 miles down river to find good numbers of slot reds. Thanks
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

2. Member
    I went last week but don't fish for Redfish. Guide boats and others were downriver catching Reds. Looks like a little rise happening now but by august you should easily be good just about anywhere. Check back the week before you go.

3. Member
    Im trying to figure out what the rise is from as I've been seeing the same also.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I went last week but don't fish for Redfish. Guide boats and others were downriver catching Reds. Looks like a little rise happening now but by august you should easily be good just about anywhere. Check back the week before you go.
    BITE IT BAITS, You fish it, Fish Bite IT www.biteitbaits.com

4. Member
    Flooding in Illinois few weeks ago is a guess what’s making its way down. Don’t usually see it so green this early but that’s probably gonna change if it comes up. Caught reds all over last week by accident they shouldn’t be a problem in august

5. Member
    should be good as long as the storms stay away.

6. Member
    I didn't even see a red fish roll when I was there Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmn520 View Post
    Flooding in Illinois few weeks ago is a guess what’s making its way down. Don’t usually see it so green this early but that’s probably gonna change if it comes up. Caught reds all over last week by accident they shouldn’t be a problem in august

7. Member
    I just got back yesterday. We managed to catch a couple while bass fishing. Had a guy at the place we stayed that said they caught the reds until they got tired of catching them. Not sure the details on what they were doing but it sounded like they smoked them.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

8. Member
    How'd y'all do on the bass? We did ok Friday. 30 or so, I didn't feel like they ate good friday though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    I just got back yesterday. We managed to catch a couple while bass fishing. Had a guy at the place we stayed that said they caught the reds until they got tired of catching them. Not sure the details on what they were doing but it sounded like they smoked them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedup711 View Post
    How'd y'all do on the bass? We did ok Friday. 30 or so, I didn't feel like they ate good friday though.
    Yall running down river to catch them? Where’s some good action right now?

10. Member
    We caught fish but it was here and there. Nothing like you think, when you think Venice bass fishing
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

11. Member
    It was getting right a couple of weeks ago. We caught a couple of days when the wind blew some water out so the 5.5 or so level at carrolton was misleading. We caught a good number of nice fish. Strange because we really didn't have great tides, but that helps with very little high tide. It fished much lower than that reading on those days.

Well this all sounds like good news! i see a storm brewing just offshore from Venice today. Hopefully the serious stuff will stay away this year. It was pretty awesome last year, first weekend in august downriver. Hoping for a repeat. Was also curious how it may be out Baptiste Collette area. Never ventured thru there, but its a little closer. I love to catch bass, but just after reds this time.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

13. Member
    Look at Mississippi River stage at New Orleans - it will show a Month's "Rise" or "Fall" (Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service).

14. Member
    I was in my lil aluminum boat we never went south of main pass. Fished some spots around noon and caught like five then we ran into a few in the very backs of canals and ponds where the water was very clear (where there was tons of reds also) then went back in some main drag areas where started when the tide started pulling and it got pretty silly and we caught some 3-3.5 mixed in. Lots of two and change fish.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez517 View Post
    Yall running down river to catch them? Where’s some good action right now?
    I was down river. Headed back in the morning but with the rise Idk how it's gonna be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmn520 View Post
    I was in my lil aluminum boat we never went south of main pass. Fished some spots around noon and caught like five then we ran into a few in the very backs of canals and ponds where the water was very clear (where there was tons of reds also) then went back in some main drag areas where started when the tide started pulling and it got pretty silly and we caught some 3-3.5 mixed in. Lots of two and change fish.
    Well that sounds pretty awesome. I shouldnt have any trouble going down river in my boat, but it would be nice not to have to run so far.
    The prediction in 3 weeks is for the river to be just above 4. That should be pretty damn awesome if no unexpected hurricanes roll in. Not looking forward to the 12 hour drive, but i cant wait to get fishing down there again.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

17. Member
    Went Wednesday did decent caught around 30. Went back Friday and stroked the bigger fish. It was a good day even tho the river was rising. Found some better fish.

Went Wednesday did decent caught around 30. Went back Friday and stroked the bigger fish. It was a good day even tho the river was rising. Found some better fish.
    Did you stay in the river or did you venture into the ponds with the rising water?
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    Did you stay in the river or did you venture into the ponds with the rising water?
    Didn't go in any ponds. main canals off the passes. We caught fish everywhere we went but they was stacked up at the one location.

Sounds good! Looks like the river is falling again. Stoked to get down there on 08/02!
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast