Power trim problems

Went out of the lake today and I hit the trim botton and it did not work checked all my fuse bottons,,,, Is there a fuse somewhere I can not find ? 2000 Stratos 283 w/ a Johnson 175 same year........Help Please

[ The Trim Button on the Motor works, I forgot to say this in my first post, I checked the relays on the motor , Just can't get the buttons on the boat to work now, a friend told me there was a fuse on my boat somewhere and I can not find it.... I am triming the motor up about 3/4 way up so I can still run the boat and get some fishing in here....Thanks for your help ]

Modified by waterrat at 10:49 AM 2/18/2012

Re: Power trim problems (waterrat)

Should have some relays on the engine. The guys on the Johnny-Rude board could point them out to ya.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

3. Member

You should have a breaker panel under the dash. Push all the rubber reset buttons to see if any have popped out. If the trim switch on the bow panel works then I would say the switch on the shift ter was bad.
    09 Stratos 294 XL
    09 200 Yamaha Vmax HPDI
    27 T-1 Vmax Prop

4. Member

Re: Power trim problems (moto74)

I have checked all reset fuses in the consul, and the front button doesn't works also and the Trim button on the shiftier don't work too I guess it has to be in the wiring, somewhere...

5. Member

Like Javelin 389 says. Pull the engine cover off and check all the fuses in the fuse panel. Pull all of them out one at a time to see if any are blown. If all of the fuses are good it has to be something in the wiring. The wire from the shifter trim switch may have come unplugged from the main wiring harness.
    09 Stratos 294 XL
    09 200 Yamaha Vmax HPDI
    27 T-1 Vmax Prop

6. Member

Something similar happened to me.......Check the trim relay.....I took my engine cover off and I could hear the relay clicking but the trim did not work. I found the relay that was clicking, it turned out to be just a bad contact on the relay. Let me know!

7. Member

Re: Power trim problems (tdarst)

Been there done that. Relays or connections problem are a common occurance. No big deal as relays are cheap & connection problems are usually free to fix.

Re: Power trim problems (Les Young)

Is is deff your relays. Like everyone has said, they are easy to change and cheap. I always carry an extra in my boat. When they go, there is nothing you can do to fix them except replace them.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

9. Member

Re: Power trim problems (badge368)

Thanks Guys, I have tried all these and still the buttons on the boat will not trim up or down the motor and I can not find a bad fuse anywhere so it has to be in the wiring....I just replaced the steering cables last year maybe we did something to the wiring then ....What kills me I used it for 10 months and now this this last time I had my boat out it was working fine, I have just about rebuilt this whole boat by now,,, Its just about every time I go out in my boat it cost me $300.00 and that is not Gas & oil cost.... The wiring is the last thing I have to replace of my boat and then I will have a NEW 2000 "283" 12 year old Stratos Bass Boat......when I find the trouble I will post what I found to you guys......Good Luck on the water this year to all.....

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Pretty easy to troubleshoot. The wiring harness colors are red, blue, green. Red is constant and that is 12 Volts. Blue is the up side and Green is the down side. Problem is probably in either the bow panel switch or the throttle switch. Unhook the bow switch and try the throttle switch. If you look under the gunnel you'll see the wiring harness coming down the starboard side. May have a bad splice in there with scotch connectors. If it is in the throttle side the harness is prone to chaffed wires on the slot that goes from the handle into the control box.

That's what happened to me championman. The wire was chaffed at that spot where it goes into the control box. It happened a couple times.
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    1997 Johnson 175HP Fast Strike 25 Renegade
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

Re: (javelinbass)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by javelinbass &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">That's what happened to me championman. The wire was chaffed at that spot where it goes into the control box. It happened a couple times. </td></tr></table>

same with mine.. took the handle apart, cleaned up the wires, made them fit a little better. no problems since!!!