Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Launching a boat for the first time

Title says it all...I値l be launching my boat for the first time. Do you have any tips or recommendations? Majority the time I値l be solo launching and saw videos of boaters using a rope. I知 a little skeptical of that but would like to hear some tips and tricks.

2. Member
    They use ropes because it is illegal to power load/power launch. i.e. use the motor to drive the boat up onto or off the trailer.
    In SC, we do not have that law so we power load. Check your local laws.

Always prepare the boat in the staging area, not on the ramp. Keep your time on the ramp to a minimum especially if people are waiting. They understand you are solo launch but that doesnt mean you get to back down the ramp, then load your gear in the boat. That's what the staging area is for.

When launching alone...
    Get boat ready at staging area, plug, keys, remove transom straps, etc.
    Keep the bow strap hooked up and do 8 reverse turns of the winch letting out 2ft of strap. Then engage the handle/lock.
    Back the boat down until the boat floats, slides back and tensions the winch strap.
    Unhook the strap, climb in and back the boat off the trailer.

Look at the trailer depth. This is about how deep you want it when loading the boat. Adjust as needed.

3. Member
    I've been using a rope to launch my boats solo for years. Hook to bow eye and to trailer. Back in to ease the boat off then slowly pull forward to beach the boat. An alternative to to do as friogatto says, back boat into water, climb into boat and back the boat off the trailer then either beach it or tie off to the dock.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    Get a drotto boat2trailer for your trailer and make your life easy. I will never have another trailer without it.

5. Banned
    I do what Friogatto said.

I did it that way because it was the easiest...and I kinda thought it was inconsiderate since I leave my running truck on the ramp for a few minutes....

then I saw a guy solo launch with a rope. I do it quicker than that guy did.....you dont need a rope.

PRACTICE BACKING IN A BIG EMPTY PARKING LOT BEFORE YOU GO.....not only for yourself, but for everyone at the ramp! just get a couple home depot buckets......and keep practicing until you can back it in easy each time. Small movements of the wheel are best while youre learning....dont overcorrect, just let it flow....if that makes sense! lol

You might have trouble loading the boat back onto the trailer.....but just learn the water/wind and youll get it soon enough. I was a kayak fisherman before I bought a boat and have never had problems loading, even in wind.....learning the water while i was on a kayak helped a lot! As long as you can get it....KINDA on the trailer...you can just winch it up! did that a few times myself! lol

If youre struggling...and the ramps packed....dont panic. Just jump out and tell people its your first time (I did that)....then they can decide to be miserable, or adjust accordingly and launch the next lane over. If youre going to a ramp with only a couple/few lanes......PRACTICE IN A BIG EMPTY PARKING LOT BEFORE GOING!

You got this...its not that hard, and just takes practice!

6. Banned
    DONT FORGET THE PLUG.....lol

im serious...I almost sunk mine twice....once really bad.....like the whole bottom 1/3 of the boat was flooded! DONT FORGET IT!...cuz its real easy to forget. Just take your time till it becomes automatic and a system for you.

There are tons of youtube videos about this.
    1979 Glastron HPV165 140HP Johnson

Taxation is theft!

8. Member
    Make a list. Check it twice. Gonna find out who's naughty..............oops wrong song.

After getting the boat ready, I back the bow strap off about 4-5 feet, then I back in close enough to the courtesy dock so I can step into the boat, release the bow strap, move the boat back and tie off to the dock. Park the truck, then go fishing !! Reverse order to load !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    The rope trick works good, just make sure you keep it away from your rear tires and don't run over it like I did.

when I'm by myself I use a rope to put her out and then drag it to the ramp.

12. Member
    Well you cant rope the truck back to the ramp? So I use the strap already attatched to the boat. Leave it hooked up but released. Back in enough to hear it clicking or notice the boat lifting off trailer. Hop on trailer and unhook, drive boat to shore or dock. Park truck and fish. Loading back up where it floated off when unloding then idle boat on. Strap it and wench it up. TRIM MOTOR UP BEFORE PULLING OUT!!!!!!.lol. pull the plug strap it down and head to the house. You wont be perfect everytime but after 10-15 trips itll be normal and youll get quicker.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

13. Member
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I feel more confident! This forum has been a great help. Purchasered a few things from a couple vendors on here, it already seems like another addiction.

14. Member
    The ramps where I launch don't have the courtesy docks at the ramp itself, they are 30 - 40 feet away. I open the rear liftgate on my SUV when backing down, release the winch and let about 2 - 3 foot of slack in the strap and back down until the boat floats off the trailer. I then crawl out the back and walk out on the trailer, unhook the strap, get on the boat pushing off the trailer, fire up the engine and head over to the dock. Tie it up and go put the SUV/trailer in a parking spot. This also allows the engine to warm up as I leave it running while parking the trailer so the boat is ready to blast off when I get back to it.

15. Member
    If you haven't done it practice backing up the boat and trailer in a parking lot until you can reliably put the boat where you want it. My first time launching was a disaster because I underestimated how hard it is to back a trailer in if you've never done it. I had to get help at the ramp that I was blocking from the next guy in line. If you already know how to do that any of the various methods mentioned here work to launch alone.

When backing a trailer, put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Now which ever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand in that direction.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    I also launch with a rope. I clip the rope onto the bow eyelet and tie the tag end to the trailer winch arm. I lay the lose rope on the bow taking care to ensure it is tangle free. Then I back the boat in till it floats off (be sure winch strap is removed). I then pull the truck forward so I can grab the rope and untie it from the trailer while staying dry on shore. I then walk up the dock and tie the boat or pull it to shore. Super easy.

To retrieve the boat, I back the trailer in till the trailer wheel wells are JUST submerged. Then I simply drive the boat on. I raise the jackplate as I approach the trailer (or trim up) and turn the engine off when the boat begins to meet the bunks. She simply glides on. I then step of the bow onto the trailer frame, drop my tailgate, attach the winch strap and winch the boat the last foot. If the ramp is shallow and the truck is also in the water I'll stop over the bed and use the rear wheel as a step. Then hop to shore! Hope it's helpful.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Take a look at the ramp look for any thing that might get you in trouble ive seen concrete ramps with drop offs on the sides and big holes at the bottom. If i dont know the ramp i take a look at it first. Don't let anyone rush you thats when bad things happen.

19. Member
    I also launch with a rope attached. I'll attach the rope to the bow eyelet, throwing all loose rope into the bed of the truck, pulling the end of the rope into the drivers window. Back the boat in holding onto the road, step out of the truck pulling the boat to the end of the ramp and tie it off, the pull the truck into a parking spot. Pulling the boat to the end of the ramp will still allow someone else to launch without my boat being in the way. If you use this method, just be sure to launch slowly, or the boat will pull harder onto the rope you're holding, which could cause the rope to slip out of your hand, or cause you hand pain, depending on how you're holding onto the rope. Whichever method you decide to use be sure to take your time and do it right. It might hold up the launch line a little, but better to be safe than sorry. Once you develop YOUR routine for launching, it will become easier and easier, and you'll become quick enough not to back up the launch line.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

20. Member
    Make a checklist and stick to it. Do not cut corners,
    Pack safety stuff from checklist in a small duffel bag to keep them together and then keep this in a hatch.
    I remove all my gear before I put mine away during the week (storage)

Truck launching - get an anchor to tie your rope to it while launching so the boat does not drift away. again DO NOT rush this, have your checklist,
    engage parking brake, release foot slowly to see if truck moves with boat.

Bottom line take your time, go when the launch is not busy.
    Shibs
    Crestliner 1700 with 90 hp 4S (2016)
    Avid spoonplugger and student of Buck Perry.
    Fish out of Muskegon Lake, MI

Onix 10 SI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast