Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    "When backing a trailer, put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Now which ever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand in that direction."

Practice doing this, it works and you'll soon be backing up like a pro.

2. Member
    Also.
    Never start the motor out of the water. Unless it’s hooked up to a water hose. It will destroy the water pump. It is dry in there unless in the water.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

3. Member
    Always do you pre-check list first. Plugs/Gas/Oil/etc. Launching a boat is really easy, but there are some laws in different states that wont allow you to power load/launch. If you can then it is really simple. Back boat in (if you are new to backing a trailer up a simple tip to learn is put ur hands at the bottom of the steering wheel and left is left and right is right, just take it slow and steady). Get in the boat start it up /unhook the boat winch/park the boat some place close and safe. Then just run back to the ramp and park your vehicle and trailer (do it backwards to get the boat off the water). But if you cannot use power load/launch (gotta suck) I would put my boat buoys/boat fenders on and tie a rope to the bow/stern (stern like a 3-4 rope) (bow maybe 7-9) back my boat in the water until it is floating all the way. Push it off father and use the bow rope to move it to the dock and tie it off close by. Then use the stern to tie it of so your boat doesn't get turned around by wakes/wind. Same thing to get it off of the water. I hope this helps -Rich

4. Member
    I just want to thank everyone for their response! This past weekend, I was finally able to get the boat in the water. I have 90% confidence while reversing with the boat now, soon it’ll be a breeze. So what I did was back the boat into the water until it starts floating, loosened the winch and unhooked it then climbed into the bow, turned the motor, reversed and tied on to the dock. Loading was a different story, I put the trailer too deep(bunks were fully submerged so the boat did not line up correctly with the bunks as I had to loosen the winch and correct the boats position a new time but lesson learned. I purchased a Drotto so it should be a lot easier. I’ll have to remember not to put the trailer in too deep.

5. Member
    When I unload my fenders are underwater and the boat backs off easily. When I load the top of my fenders are out of the water and the boat glides right on. The depth that you back in varies with the steepness of the ramps you use.

6. Member
    Great points, dead on from my experiences! The assistance is appreciated for all the inexperienced boaters.

7. Member
    Each weekend I’m going to mess around with the depths when loading the boat. This past weekend fenders were about 1”-2” above the water but when I drove on, the bow shot right(might be a driver error) even though I drove straight on or I thought I did.

8. Member
    I was/am using the rope method because my docks are never close to the ramp. I purchase the Zlaunch this morning and am excited to get/try it.

9. Member
    I've just watched the video for the Z-launch, and read all these posts about pulling back up the ramp with the boat on a rope/strap until the boat grounds on the ramp. I just can't get into dragging my boat into a concrete ramp.

I just spent a considerable amount of time repairing a scraped up and gouged keel on my boat from where the previous owner(s) must have repeatedly done this - at one point almost 6' aft of the bow eye, it was through gelcoat, and pretty deep into the fiberglass, with various decreasing amounts of scraping as you moved forward. I installed a Keel shield once I had everything repaired, but man I still don't want to drag my boat up on the concrete.

Plus, Leaving your boat blocking the lane while you go park your truck would be seen around here just as poorly as waiting to load all your gear into your boat at the bottom of the ramp.

Almost none of my local ramps have docks, but most have a sandy area off to the side where you can beach, but usually requires firing the big motor up to get over to those spots. I envy you folks with these nice docks and piers at your launches.

10. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    What part of CA are you in? If you're launching near the lakes I fish, I'd be more than happy to help out if i'm fishing that day too.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    They use ropes because it is illegal to power load/power launch. i.e. use the motor to drive the boat up onto or off the trailer.
    In SC, we do not have that law so we power load. Check your local laws.

Always prepare the boat in the staging area, not on the ramp. Keep your time on the ramp to a minimum especially if people are waiting. They understand you are solo launch but that doesnt mean you get to back down the ramp, then load your gear in the boat. That's what the staging area is for.

When launching alone...
    Get boat ready at staging area, plug, keys, remove transom straps, etc.
    Keep the bow strap hooked up and do 8 reverse turns of the winch letting out 2ft of strap. Then engage the handle/lock.
    Back the boat down until the boat floats, slides back and tensions the winch strap.
    Unhook the strap, climb in and back the boat off the trailer.

Look at the trailer depth. This is about how deep you want it when loading the boat. Adjust as needed.
    Friogatto provides a good check list. One caution I have with the newer powdered coated aluminum fishing boats is the bottom is very slick. Be careful to NOT remove the bow hook before backing your boat into the water. With the fiberglass bass boats I owned, I would back down to the edge of the water and then unhook the bow because sometimes you needed to snap it off the trailer (especially if the ramp is shallow). When I did that with my brand new Tracker 195 TXW, my boat slipped off onto the edge of the ramp after unhooking it even though we hadn't moved the tow vehicle. Fortunately, I was able to winch it back onto the trailer which was not easy and only damaged the engine skeg.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12