Thread: Wedges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hagen

Wedges

Is their a sponsor here that carries Wedges? Will probably end up ordering a new jack plate a little later but wanted to play with the wedges first to see how they did. Thanks guys
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

2. Member
    Bobs Machine Shop

3. Member
    What is your set up and what are you trying to accomplish? I have played with wedges ALOT and might can save you some money and time, what size to get etc if they will help your issue or not etc

4. Hagen
    20xd 250xs 1.62 sportmaster. 12" plate. I have L plates in the shop to put it back to 14. Just swapped this motor on last fall and haven't really had time to dial it in. It will be set up to fish NOT top end runs light and stripped. I have just heard a lot of people say they help on holeshot. Had a torquemaster on old motor so I was worried about running out of trim. I'm shooting for a stout holeshot with a decent topend loaded to fish.

5. Member
    I’m running a bobs 2 deg negative trim wedge and a hydro foil. Would never run a 20xd without.

I can run 100 loaded to fish 2 guys consistently. I got a 109 MG and HDS 12 at the front, never run out of trim

6. Member
    Minnow, you may remember me. The yellow 20XD, 250XS, 1:62 Sporty. you met up with me on Bear creek, Alabama a couple years ago. Steve at Lawrenceburg Marine set mine up. 12 inch set back, 2 deg wedges and 28 Bravo. Steve is one of the best and I have been very happy. I would think carefully about 14 inches of set back. Check with Steve or perhaps you could get in touch with Paul Nichols.

7. Member
    Oh, and 1-3/8 inch above pad.

8. Member
    Holeshot will be slower with 14”, topend will be approx 1mph faster with 14” over 12”.

9. Hagen
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Minnow, you may remember me. The yellow 20XD, 250XS, 1:62 Sporty. you met up with me on Bear creek, Alabama a couple years ago. Steve at Lawrenceburg Marine set mine up. 12 inch set back, 2 deg wedges and 28 Bravo. Steve is one of the best and I have been very happy. I would think carefully about 14 inches of set back. Check with Steve or perhaps you could get in touch with Paul Nichols.
    Yes sir I sure do remember. You had a sharp boat yourself!!

10. Hagen
    If I am only going to gain 1mph with more setback then I'll probably stay with the 12" then. Going to try and keep a good holeshot no matter how its loaded.

11. Member
    As hyper said you likely will lose hole shot a little. Hyper says you will gain top end slightly. He may be right but, I honestly doubt it. JMO, not being argumentative with hyper. On the 20, a 12 inch set back seems to be the best compromise. If my set up does not suit you on holeshot might lower the motor 1/4 inch. Will cost you a couple on top end. You will want a Bullet foil and you MIGHT want to stack your Jack plate with Styrofoam. I will send you a phone number by pm. Feel free to call anytime.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    As hyper said you likely will lose hole shot a little. Hyper says you will gain top end slightly. He may be right but, I honestly doubt it. JMO, not being argumentative with hyper. On the 20, a 12 inch set back seems to be the best compromise. If my set up does not suit you on holeshot might lower the motor 1/4 inch. Will cost you a couple on top end. You will want a Bullet foil and you MIGHT want to stack your Jack plate with Styrofoam. I will send you a phone number by pm. Feel free to call anytime.
    This is just from my experience with my 20xd/300XS. From 10 to 12" i gained 1.5mph. then from 12 to 14" i gained 1mph. Every time i went with more setback i lost holeshot and gained topend.

I went testing with setback plates, Same prop, same load, same day.

13. Hagen
    Already have balls in jack plate. Foil is already on order. Had one on my last motor and loved it. Not only did it help with holeshot I could stay on pad at 14-16mph . Was nice being able to stay on pad when having to follow a slow boat in the narrow creeks.

14. Member
    2.5 degree wedges are as far as I would go with that motors trim system.

You CAN go 5 but that puts it right at the limit for full trim and I wouldn’t want to be there all the time.

Every degree back you go will help in holeshot, if your trim system can handle it.

I have 15 degrees in mine but I have a single ram race trim system.

I’ve tested and experimented all the way from 2.5 degree to 15

As you know the foil will help a bunch and hopefully you have a bottom plate on your jackate too

15. Hagen
    Think I'll try the 2 degree then

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnowlimo View Post
    Think I'll try the 2 degree then
    Agree

17. Banned
    I run 2 degree wedges on my 21ss with 12" of setback and a foil.

18. Member
    IF yer considering replacing your jackplate Steve can set you up with whatever neg trim you want 'built into the jackplate' and you won't have to install wedges!
    IMO that's a no brainer!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

19. Hagen
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickBullet View Post
    IF yer considering replacing your jackplate Steve can set you up with whatever neg trim you want 'built into the jackplate' and you won't have to install wedges!
    IMO that's a no brainer!!!
    This was my thought process, try wedges figure out exactly what I wanted then just buy a new one with it already built it. But it will be a little while before I order a new one. Going to mess around with some ideas on mine first like extending it downward. Thanks for all suggestions guys

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minnowlimo View Post
    This was my thought process, try wedges figure out exactly what I wanted then just buy a new one with it already built it. But it will be a little while before I order a new one. Going to mess around with some ideas on mine first like extending it downward. Thanks for all suggestions guys
    You can rock the top back and redrill, giving more negative angle to the jackplate but motor will no longer be adjustable, and it lowers your prop to pad.

After i I did this I had to redrill the jackplate motor mounting location to get my prop to pad back.

Now that I’m no longer racing my bullet I’m contemplating putting the jackplate back in its original configuration but with 5 degree wedges, which will help its holeshot compared to stock but not like it is now. It’s fine for fishing with only 5 deg in mine. But the crazy shallow quick get up with 15deg and super slow plane speed does have its benifits fighting too.

But I’ve got motor issues going on I’m struggling with, so those changes will have to wait if i do decide to do them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast