St Clair end of July?

I'm planning a trip to st Clair the weekend of July 28th. It will be my first trip ever to the lake and will be a big change from the small natural lakes i fish now. What should i expect that time of yr as for the fishing? Also what boating safety equipment is required to go out on the big lake

2. Member
    I would definetly consider a Canadian license that time of year. ..I tend to focus on the Canadian side and the St Clair River/Channels during late summer...
    Still lots of fish on the mile roads but they are scattered..
    Find the baitfish..
    As far as the boat..
    5 flares, fire extinguisher, throwable, basically the same as everywhere else except for the extra flares..
    Cell phone service can be spotty so a radio isn't a bad idea...I just use a handheld.
    Stay on top of the weather and watch East or North winds ...
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 06-29-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

If you are on Canadian side,no flare gun.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    If you are on Canadian side,no flare gun.
    Flare guns that can "ONLY" shoot flares are legal...….I have had a face to face discussion with an Ontario officer on this issue...and it is also in the OMNR web site...I run both handhelds and a Flare gun....Do what you want but I have never had anyone with Authority or a Canadian website tell me Flare guns are illegal in Canada, I have pretty much only seen it thrown around in internet forums..I want something that is going to launch a cluster if things go bad...Handheld flares are about worthless in a bass boat that is only 2 foot out of the water...

Devices designed exclusively for signalling purposes (e.g., flare guns), and intended to be used solely for that purpose, are exempt from the requirements set out below. However, some flare guns that are based on the same frame or receiver as a firearm are considered to be firearms and are not exempt from firearms controls.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 06-30-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Our club fished there last weekend. Lots of 3.5
    to 4lb smallies. Most in 18 to 20 fow on tubes and
    dropshot. Had a lot of craws puked in my livewells. 6.30
    was big bass.

6. Member
    Seawalls in the channels area around current breaks