2002 200L Optimax Bad Compressor

I heard some knocking in my 2002 200L Optimax OT555570 this weekend. I took the cowling off and found the compressor pulley/wheel was loose and 3 of the 5 bolts holding it down had sheared off. There was some oil leaking down the side of the compressor. Looking for part numbers for compressor or even compressor components and a new belt. Looking for tips and insight on rebuilding or replacing. Haven't torn into the motor yet, but I should know more in the next few days. Hopefully I can rebuild the compressor.
    Thanks,
    Myles
    2020 Phoenix 721 ProXP 250 Merc ProXS
    Dual 10' Blades / 10" Atlas hyd plate
    HDS 12 Lives w/ Active Target
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

2. Member
    don't try it just replace it , might move this to 3.0L SECTION ALSO, gonna need rails cleaned and some more stuff too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    don't try it just replace it , might move this to 3.0L SECTION ALSO, gonna need rails cleaned and some more stuff too
    ^^^^

Best add injectors to the list as well plus new inline oil filters.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving to the 3L Forum for you.

CAN'T rebuild that one- parts supercede to a new replacement unit. See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum)- she can assist you with any replacement parts you need.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the pointers. I have the compressor off now, looking for replacement parts.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

6. Member
    Completed the compressor project. I installed a new compressor, serpentine belt, and in line oil filters. I also cleaned fuel rails, lines, and injectors. I also had the compressor primed by a dealer. The motor runs good as new. Thanks to Rhonda and Don at European Marine for the parts and help.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

Quote Originally Posted by Mtall001 View Post
    Completed the compressor project. I installed a new compressor, serpentine belt, and in line oil filters. I also cleaned fuel rails, lines, and injectors. I also had the compressor primed by a dealer. The motor runs good as new. Thanks to Rhonda and Don at European Marine for the parts and help.

How is did you go about cleaning your fuel rails? Share some insight if you don’t mind
    2022 Phoenix 920 Elite Mercury 4-Stroke 250 ProXS

9. Member
    Wow, this is an old post and I saw that I never responded. I basically removed them and flushed them with gas. I then removed the mechanical fuel pumps/diaphragms and blew the rails off with the air compressor. I repeated the process until it was perfectly clean.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

10. Member
    Ill post some pics of what I found because I know this is a common problem with the older Optimaxs
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

11. Member
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

12. Member
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

13. Member
    To clean the injectors, I ended up hooking them to a 12v battery and having my friend make/break the connection while I sprayed them out with cleaner. They came perfectly clean. I have videos on the entire process, I just never posted because I'm not an expert on the subject and I didn't know if my actions were proper. The motor has been running fine for 2 years now so I can say it was probably a successful project.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

14. Member
    I'm kinda handy and kinda technical and if I remember correctly it took me about 7-8 hours to take everything off, clean it, and reinstall. Not really an easy job.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What you did is by far better than the "do nothing" approach. That being said, I'm sure that you learned a lot in the process, especially when it comes to the regulators and trying to get everything lined up properly while assembling them.

One note on the injectors: 12 volts is too much voltage, and there is a pretty good probability of damaging the injectors that way. Even with a 9V battery you have to be very careful.

Perhaps the biggest thing that this method leaves as an unknown is "validation" of the injectors at a full-range of engine operation parameters. I have a video on our Youtube channel that demonstrates a number of injectors that would pass the 9V battery "clicketey-clack" tests, but quite obviously would not perform properly at higher engine RPM's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    It was a big learning opportunity for me for sure. As I said, I'm not an expert on the matter but at the end of the day I was pleased with the results and getting everything clean.
    Helix 12 MSI & 10 w/360

17. Member
    Cleaning and flow testing of injectors can also be done at Duck River Marine in TN for a very reasonable cost. Wish I had known that before my mechanic charged me more than twice as much to have them sent off for ultrasonic cleaning, but with no flow test.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Ozark Mountain Anglers Bass Club
    Columbia, MO