Flakes in plastics

What are the purpose of flakes in plastics? Can bass actually see the flakes? What are they supposed to represent?

The flake color, size, and concentration makes quite a difference in the shade of the final color, plus most flake colors will add flash. Personally, I have had good results with some colors and very little in the way of results with some other colors of flake. Black, red, copper, gold and lavender/purple flakes seem to work for me, but silver, green and blue are not on my shopping list!

My suspicion is that some of the latter colors would work if they were in an appropriate base color, such as a translucent yellow with green flake might be a good yellow perch imitator. Can't say I've ever seen that combination. We have yellow perch, but no shad. If you have shad, then some different combinations would work, I'm sure, such as translucent white with silver flake. Light translucent smoke with a modest amount of red flake is a killer Rainbow Trout imitation, although Rainbows don't get the red stripe until they're much larger than most of our soft plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    The flake color, size, and concentration makes quite a difference in the shade of the final color, plus most flake colors will add flash. Personally, I have had good results with some colors and very little in the way of results with some other colors of flake. Black, red, copper, gold and lavender/purple flakes seem to work for me, but silver, green and blue are not on my shopping list!

My suspicion is that some of the latter colors would work if they were in an appropriate base color, such as a translucent yellow with green flake might be a good yellow perch imitator. Can't say I've ever seen that combination. We have yellow perch, but no shad. If you have shad, then some different combinations would work, I'm sure, such as translucent white with silver flake. Light translucent smoke with a modest amount of red flake is a killer Rainbow Trout imitation, although Rainbows don't get the red stripe until they're much larger than most of our soft plastics.
    I agree, and props for the A for effort on the response
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Steve, your forgetting the main reason its in the plastics. It catches more anglers than fish.
    Black, purple and blue worms have caught tons of fish

Not long ago, I read that bass don't "see" details, but see color and "motion". For years, I've thought that bass see "food colors", and a lot of other crap doesn't matter.

That said, "contrast" is a major deal, IMO. For example, on a sandy bottom, don't be throwing a black T-rigged worm or black jig. Nature doesn't do that; critters are always camouflaged better than that. Something with less contrast will get much better results.

30 years ago, it was pretty rare to find a "green" plastic worm, lizard, or tube, and I predicted in our club newsletter that would change sometime in the coming years. Watermelon and Green Pumpkin are now not only available everywhere, but among the more reliable colors to use anywhere in the USA.