2004 Yamaha 225 ox66 questions

Looking at buying a boat with this motor. Will be my first Yamaha. Can this motor be hooked up to see the run hours and breakdown. Also what compression should I see out of the motor? Any concerns I should be on the look at for? Thanks for the help !
    2003 Bullet 21XDC with 2012 250 Mercury Sport XS
    1997 Allison 2003 with Mercury 225 Pro Max

2. Member
    No on the hours, Compression should be within 10% or so of each other. somewhere in the 110psi range depending on a lot of factors. Good tough engine. Ask about the 02 sensor being serviced and low pressure fuel pumps being checked or replaced. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    No on the hours, Compression should be within 10% or so of each other. somewhere in the 110psi range depending on a lot of factors. Good tough engine. Ask about the 02 sensor being serviced and low pressure fuel pumps being checked or replaced. CJ
    What cost would I be looking at for the 02 sensor and low pressure pump ?
    2003 Bullet 21XDC with 2012 250 Mercury Sport XS
    1997 Allison 2003 with Mercury 225 Pro Max

4. Member
    You can clean the o2 for the cost of a couple of gaskets and 20 min. A new 02 is $300 by the time you get it. Mine needed replaced to be right. The 3 pumps can be kitted for a minimal amount. Or replace them with a electric like a lot of folks do, me included. Replace the fuel filters while you are at it and you should be set. SIM Yamaha will get you what you need the first time. Hope this helps.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    This is the exact part you'll get from Yamaha - in a different box. Have to re-terminate the connector but that's it. Small effort to save $200+ dollars.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

6. Member
    Clark, have you used one of those NGK sensors?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acsockr3 View Post
    Clark, have you used one of those NGK sensors?
    Been in my motor over a year. No issues.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Been in my motor over a year. No issues.
    ClarkBird,

When you replaced your O2 sensor, did you notice or witness any change in performance, smoking, or starting? I'm currently not having any issues (knocked on wood), but I'm thinking that a new O2 sensor would reduce the amount of smoke.

Thanks,

Tracey

9. Member
    Can't say that I did because it was part of a bigger project with the fuel system. ie. elect lift pump, injector cleaning, reeds, filters, etc.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

10. Member
    I only seem to get about 1.5 seasons on the NGK/NTK sensor. But when I replace it, it always runs smooth as can be until it starts going bad again.
    But for the cheap cost, I’ll prolly just start changing it once a year and be good. Can find it for around $20 if you look around. I also added the correct engine side plug to match this sensor, so it’s just plug and play now.