Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    What's your solution then? The State of Kentucky is broke due to the pension and failures of previous administations. The new tax hike is a result of trying to correct the matter. With the recent pension changes being thrown out, we're back to square one...all these teachers and state employees with a pension and no money to fund it. The problem isn't the current governor, the problem is the failure of previous governors who did nothing about the problem...had any previous governors stepped up they would have been labeled as bad guys just as you have labeled the current governor. I will not fault a guy for actually doing his job.
    Quit making sense.

Next week KET is going to host a call in show that will address questions about the new tax law. This will be Monday July 9 at 7cst 8est. I wonder if anyone will call and ask about tournament taxes and how they need to be collected.

Here is a link to the story...http://www.columbiamagazine.com/index.php?sid=98267

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebassboy View Post
    Bevin vetoed the tax package. State Senate and House voted it in. Going to be a nightmare. Every bass club that has entry fees is responsible for getting a tax number and submitting taxes. No exceptions. Membership fees are taxable also. Even if it's not a club tournament if there is an entry fee the person running it is responsible.
    There’s not going to be a single bass club out there pay this. Show up to the ramp, collect cash, pay back cash. Nobody is going to know the difference. The bigger trails and tournaments will have to follow the tax law, but all the little jackpot tournaments aren’t gonna bat an eye at it
    Last edited by catch5; 07-08-2018 at 07:08 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    There’s not going to be a single bass club out there so this. Show up to the ramp, collect cash, pay back cash. Nobody is going to know the difference. The bigger trails and tournaments will have to follow the tax law, but all the little jackpot tournaments aren’t gonna bat an eye at it
    Yeah, this would be like trying to tax the office NCAA bracket pool. The big boys or guys who profit from tournaments might want to watch out. The small guys I doubt.

Frankfort idiots just prevented $2-3 million influx of money pouring into the economy from the FLW tour, or Bassmaster elite tour hosting an event here.

6. Banned
    We have a 100% cash payback circuit here going on its fourth year.Everyone was tired of the under 20 tournaments,and classics 8hrs away.So far it's quite popular,as there is always a waiting list to get in(capped at 45 boats).Seems like a win/win for all.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Frankfort idiots just prevented $2-3 million influx of money pouring into the economy from the FLW tour, or Bassmaster elite tour hosting an event here.
    In my opinion I doubt very seriously if BASS and FLW will stop coming to the state of Ky just because of a tax on tournament fees. They will simply collect the tax and pay the state. If I am wrong then I bet there is multiple KY Lake ledge fishermen who would be willing to thank Frankfort...playing devil's advocate...there is multiple ways to look at this.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    In my opinion I doubt very seriously if BASS and FLW will stop coming to the state of Ky just because of a tax on tournament fees. They will simply collect the tax and pay the state. If I am wrong then I bet there is multiple KY Lake ledge fishermen who would be willing to thank Frankfort...playing devil's advocate...there is multiple ways to look at this.
    +1

IIRC, BASS boycotted having tourneys in Florida, and did not return to Florida until they rescinded their tax. I'd be surprised if they would oblige Kentucky with tax money, not matter how small. BASS will not go down that road. Ky Lake tourneys would just go out of Tennessee. Cumberland might lose their event on the FLW side. I doubt anywhere else in Ky could host one anyway.

I was at one of the Top 100 pro-am pre-tourney meetings, and someone asked why weren't they having any tourneys in Florida. I think it was Tripp that said, you go ask them. I got the impression he was so mad he didn't even want to elaborate on it.
    Last edited by mossie3; 07-10-2018 at 02:07 PM.

10. Member
    Anyone running a tourney will be responsible for paying the taxes on entry fees. If the tx’s are part of a larger org. then the parent org can collect the monies from the directors and pay the taxes. Bottom line is that someone in the org will have to have a tax number and pay the taxes on entry fees

11. Member
    So, I was told by one of my clients that it was announced at the USA BASSIN tournament directors meeting this past weekend that USA BASSIN has signed a 3 year contract with Dayton, Tn to move their annual Ranger Aluminum Cup, Tournament of Champions and USA BASSIN Classic to Chicamagua in 2020 due to this dumb ass new sales tax. I was also told that it was said at the meeting that if they do decide to come back to Kentucky Lake after their 3 year contract in Dayton, that they will move the tournaments to Paris (same reason).

So in the words of Ross Perot: "Do you hear that sucking sound" you dumb as legislatures that voted for this dumb ass legislation? So, not only will Kentucky not get the sales tax from the entry fees you voted for, Kentucky also will not get the sales taxes from all the tackle, gas, food and lodging these folks purchase here every year.....the local businesses will not get the big shot of annual income these tournaments generate every year either.

Hear that sucking sound?

Of course I was only told this by one of my clients that is a tournament director for USA BASSIN ie: I was not at the meeting. I did see on the USA BASSIN site that they would be making a major announcement on September 1st...let me guess what that will be.
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 08-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Wondering how the state will enforce this?
    Probably hire some new government employees to enforce the new law, problem is salary and benefits will cost more than the new tax brings in.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    So, I was told by one of my clients that it was announced at the USA BASSIN tournament directors meeting this past weekend that USA BASSIN has signed a 3 year contract with Dayton, Tn to move their annual Ranger Aluminum Cup, Tournament of Champions and USA BASSIN Classic to Chicamagua in 2020 due to this dumb ass new sales tax. I was also told that it was said at the meeting that if they do decide to come back to Kentucky Lake after their 3 year contract in Dayton, that they will move the tournaments to Paris (same reason).

So in the words of Ross Perot: "Do you hear that sucking sound" you dumb as legislatures that voted for this dumb ass legislation? So, not only will Kentucky not get the sales tax from the entry fees you voted for, Kentucky also will not get the sales taxes from all the tackle, gas, food and lodging these folks purchase here every year.....the local businesses will not get the big shot of annual income these tournaments generate every year either.

Hear that sucking sound?

Of course I was only told this by one of my clients that is a tournament director for USA BASSIN ie: I was not at the meeting. I did see on the USA BASSIN site that they would be making a major announcement on September 1st...let me guess what that will be.
    Well it's a win for the local fishermen! Less ramp congestion and fewer GPS pirates! Less pressure on the fish too!

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Read my reply in post 47. There is multiple ways of looking at this. It would not bother me if they quadrupled the tax and there was a person standing at the ramp collecting tournament entry fee taxes on the spot on my home lake. Then again if nothing was never done and it went back to the way it was for years I would still be fine. It might be a little less crowded with taxes on large organized tournaments and more crowded if there was no tax at all involved but either way people are going to fish.

15. Member
    Just saw where next year the Costa Series is going out of Ky Dam Marina in April and then their championship is going out of Burnside on Lake Cumberland in late October. Maybe it's not deterring them to much.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metalbassman View Post
    Just saw where next year the Costa Series is going out of Ky Dam Marina in April and then their championship is going out of Burnside on Lake Cumberland in late October. Maybe it's not deterring them to much.
    I don't see what the big deal is, just bump the entry fee the $6 or $12 or whatever it is and be done with it. So much drama!

Or better yet let the tournament organizer just take it directly out of the payout pot and issue smaller winning checks. Basically if you never cash a check, you aren't getting hit by the tax!

17. Member
    The USA bassin is not only leaving due to taxes, but Tennessee may have offered more money to come there and there are lots of guys complaining about the local guys. So they are moving to a lake that doesn't have a division around it. And if Tennessee will offer the renegade the same as USA bassin the renegade will leave ky too.

18. Member
    One of my business friends told me that not having the USA Bassin tournaments here that I mentioned above would cost him 30,000.00 each year in business....I don't believe he or any other affected business thinks it is funny or just drama.

19. Member
    No, Dave it's not funny at all the businesses are go to suffer And some of the locals guys are just happy to have it to themselves. Less fishing pressure and freed up boat ramps. Like there not 20 or more ramps up and down the lake. It is a shame and ky lake is going to take a beating and the local businesses too.

20. Member
    What kills me is that there were 635 team boats in these 3 tournaments this year. With the 145.00 per team entry into these tournaments, the state would get approximately 5524.00 in taxes on entry fees total off these tournaments. Now, if each individual spent only 200.00 each for the gas, food, lodging, tackle the state would get 15,240.00 in sales tax....so we put a sales tax on tournament entry fees and the big tournaments like this go elsewhere, the state doesn't get anything and the local economy gets screwed.

I still hear that sucking sound.
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 08-28-2018 at 03:14 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast