Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    You know the government doesn't care about the little people. I know personally I've spent about 1500-1800 myself. May not seem like much till you X that by 200 others then it's a hard hit.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    You know the government doesn't care about the little people. I know personally I've spent about 1500-1800 myself. May not seem like much till you X that by 200 others then it's a hard hit.
    The people want handouts, those handouts have put KY in the hole that it's in....a governor finally steps in to try to correct things and now it's looking like he'll be shown the door so the handouts can continue once again. It's really sickening...you think it's bad now, just wait a few more years.

3. Member
    I talking about the businesses around the lake. I'm telling you the reason for most tournaments leaving is not the taxes. It's cause fishing sucks so bad down there. Why would people drive 2,3,4 hrs to not catch fish. But since it seems the locals are glad most of the big tournaments are leaving hope you all spend enough to keep them going.

4. Banned
    I talking about the businesses around the lake. I'm telling you the reason for most tournaments leaving is not the taxes. It's cause fishing sucks so bad down there. Why would people drive 2,3,4 hrs to not catch fish. But since it seems the locals are glad most of the big tournaments are leaving hope you all spend enough to keep them going.
    It is what it is. Fishermen are the most frugal visitors to the area anyways, they're what keeps the roach motels open. It will be a little bit of a loss, but not to the extent that you are thinking.

As long as the "summer people" keep coming with their big wallets from the big cities, no worries here. They are the ones renting the boats, blowing the big money on fuel and food and hotels/cabins. They are the ones supporting all the marinas with the big money slip rental. You never hear the word "fisherman" at the chamber of commerce meetings, it's all about the summer people instead, so much so that FLW rarely attends the chamber meetings. Rather than talking about carp or sales tax, the chamber is always focused on how to get the summer people to spend money on rainy days, rainy days are the biggest problem on their radar.

5. Member

You nailed it, I believe tougher fishing is responsible for USA Bassin is leaving.

6. Member
    So where is the classic going to be in 2019 ???

7. Member
    USA bassin still ky lake at ky dam marina. No changes till spring of 2020

8. Member
    I come down twice a year from Ohio for 2 separate circuits I fish Classics. One in the Fall and one in the Spring. Every year my partner and I assume roughly $1,000-$1,200 each for each trip.

I assume this is pretty standard for anyone coming from out of town. I know I sure see a lot of non KY license plates at whatever ramp I am putting in at.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson biggens View Post
    You nailed it, I believe tougher fishing is responsible for USA Bassin is leaving.
    Fishing being tough maybe part but it’s not the soul reason. Usabassin doesn’t make the member pay the 6% tax for the entry fee. So they got a tax ID number and they pay the tax for the normal tournament. Then on top of that ,they have to send a 1099 to each person that ends up in the money after the tournament is over. It’s a lot of money and work to accommodate this new tax law. Just like any other Business If you are loosing money you are going to make a change. Plus in the spring the fishing isn’t as tough like summer or fall fishing.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

10. Member
    I believe any one that wins over 599 dallors will get a 1099

11. Member
    I wish they would just sell a sticker to go on your trailer instead of Charing sales tax. Let everyone help instead of just the fishermen. Say like 75 bucks a year and put a new ramp sticker on your trailer.

12. Member
    I've said the same thing it's just to easy and fair. So why do that. Lol

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Svan270 View Post
    I wish they would just sell a sticker to go on your trailer instead of Charing sales tax. Let everyone help instead of just the fishermen. Say like 75 bucks a year and put a new ramp sticker on your trailer.

Agree 100%, let the pleasure boaters pay their fair share.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    What kills me is that there were 635 team boats in these 3 tournaments this year. With the 145.00 per team entry into these tournaments, the state would get approximately 5524.00 in taxes on entry fees total off these tournaments. Now, if each individual spent only 200.00 each for the gas, food, lodging, tackle the state would get 15,240.00 in sales tax....so we put a sales tax on tournament entry fees and the big tournaments like this go elsewhere, the state doesn't get anything and the local economy gets screwed.

I still hear that sucking sound.
    Let me say this, while the tax may have played a small role in them moving it, this was not the primary reason. There were many complaints that the same guys were winning big money or even the boat, there was an unfair local advantage. With that being said, there are rule changes coming for the 2020 season that might some of the guys mind at ease about this advantage. Off limit periods and no local guides allowed to fish, Limiting teams to 3 wins in a ten year period. I think it will be great for USA Bassin to change the venue! The loss in economic revenue for the Kentucky Lake area will be a gain for the Dayton TN area.
    Now on to the taxes, as we all well know, the state’s pension plan was in a crisis if not possibly failure. The new taxes (NOT ONLY TOURNEY ENTRIES) will generate tax money which is going to help with this crisis. I and many of my fellow anglers are more than willing to pay this small fee. As a matter of fact, the tournament angler will be required to pay the tax when they pay their entry fee. USA and other circuits will NOT be paying this from their bottom line, the anglers will be paying this.
    At certainly last but not least, explain to me why you would think it is TAX related? Think about it, USA is moving from KY (6% sales tax) to TN where taxes are MUCH higher. So, this will end up costing the angler more money. I for one am ready for a change of venue, as sadly the lakes are in a drastic decline and are not as much fun to fish. I will miss fishing there during the Championship week but am looking forward to Chick! Oh USA will be there Spring of 2019. Thanks.

15. Member
    I agree, I don't think it has much to do with the tax. I'm sure the anglers would much rather pay 6% on the entry fee as opposed to the extra 4% sales tax on everything else involved with fishing it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234