Question on older PII

looking at a 1994 PII.
    most of the older cats I have seen have small 5" jackplates on them. with a larger jackplate does it hurt or improve performance?
    boat I'm looking at has a bad motor and my motor is good its a 1994 Merc 200 XRI 2.5L and my boat has a 12" jackplate.
    if I can get this PII ill be using a lot of stuff off of my boat to put on this PII.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    looking at a 1994 PII.
    most of the older cats I have seen have small 5" jackplates on them. with a larger jackplate does it hurt or improve performance?
    boat I'm looking at has a bad motor and my motor is good its a 1994 Merc 200 XRI 2.5L and my boat has a 12" jackplate.
    if I can get this PII ill be using a lot of stuff off of my boat to put on this PII.
    Very negative effects to handling, esp left turns. I used to have a 96 PII and I found a 6 in Plate was best, Also anymore than that may cause a transom failure
    Thank You Leon Pugh

i have a 5.5" on my 96, i'm happy with it, i have no reason to change it

4. Member
    The 12 off another brand won't fit the Cat anyway, different mounting holes.

Hey Luke I have a 8" plate on my 94 PII and have had no issues at all.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Very negative effects to handling, esp left turns. I used to have a 96 PII and I found a 6 in Plate was best, Also anymore than that may cause a transom failure

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    The 12 off another brand won't fit the Cat anyway, different mounting holes.
    Older Cats use the regular 4 holes. I put an 8" Bobs on my '96 Eyra/150 ProV, worked great. Had to go with an 8" because a installed hydraulic steering and a 6" wouldn't have given the new steering clearance.