Where to mount transducer on transom of 1985 Champion 184 Bass Boat?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can suggest for me the best location on the transom of my 1985 Champion 184 Bass Boat for mounting a transducer for a fish finder. The transom of the boat is a weird shape, so I'm not sure where I should mount the transducer.

I should mention that I really care about the fish finder being most accurate when the boat is totally still or just trolling or going slow. I don't care so much when I'm on a plane and going super fast on the water. I fish at night for stripers at Lake Pleasant, AZ. We take off from the boat ramp, use the big engine to go to our fishing area, then troll around looking for areas with lots of fish.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

P.S. I tried to attach a picture of the back of my boat, but I think it's attached as a very tiny image.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Do u have a j p most mount on it

3. Member
    level with the flat area above the drains and such.. I have mine just to the left of your right tie down. I installed 83/200 in hull to get depth while running. mounted there will give you good troll and low speed sonar and down/side scan. You will loose bottom once on pad though but wont risk rippin it off on anything while on plane.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

4. Member
    Thank you Materman and Teadow for replying so quickly to my question. As a complete boating novice, I really appreciate your inputs.

Materman, I don't know what a "j p" is, so I don't know if I have one.

Teadow, thanks for your advice. Based on what you suggested, I've attached an image showing where I plan to put my transducer. I superimposed the "transducer" (the little blue shape) onto the image of the back of my boat, and I also put it on a diagram of the back of the boat. I plan to place the transducer so it's a few inches to the left of the right trailer bunk, and I'll position its height so the centerline of the transducer is even with the bottom of the flat area of the transom (the part above the drains). I'll screw the transducer onto a piece of plastic (polypropylene, or a chunk of a plastic cutting board from Walmart), then I'll glue the plastic to the transducer using marine sealant. Does that sound like a good plan?

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    That sound good I don’t like to drill hole in my boat my two cent

6. Member
    It’s a jack plate for your motor

7. Member
    Here's another question, where would I put the transducer if I wanted it to work while I AM going fast? Would it need to go somewhere else?

8. Member
    I would leave where u have now that me

9. Member
    I would leave where u have it that me do u catch big basin lake Pleasant

10. Member
    Lake Pleasant is a great place for striper fishing. We (my father-in-law and I) go at night during the summer. We put a green fishing light in the water, drop shot with anchovy pieces, and we catch dozens of fish. They are generally not very big (generally about 1.5 pounds, biggest ever has been ~4 pounds), but what is lacking in size is made up for in quantity. We often catch 50 fish and have even caught >100 in one night. Stripers are considered an invasive species in the lake, so there is no limit. We fill the cooler with fish and have some serious fish fries!

11. Member
    Ok have good one