TALON Modification

I recently went from 8' Talons to 15'ers. Top end speed dropped by approx 3 mph and slower hole shot. Not only are they heavier; but are higher by approximately 10".

I decided to make this modifcation and ordered an additional pair of Support Post Assemblies from MinnKota (Approx $60.00). The dual support posts seem to provide a solid brace for the Talons. I moved them toward the top of the Talon and lowered the posts to where the black box is approximately 4" above the deck.

When running any distance, I'll use the ratchet strap to secure them to the deck by attaching it to the boat cleats. Weight is now reduced off the tail and spread out over the rear deck more.

Prefished a small lake this evening and didn't have the distance to see what top end would be, but much improved hole shot. Similar to what it was with the 8'ers.

I'll post what my top end is once I have a chance to open it up.

I'm not sure if this mod will affect my warranty.

2. Member
    Good ideas to reduce weight on the transom and to stabilize Talons with second posts.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

3. Banned
    The posts are quite flexible, Ive dropped my units to the deck and bent them.

Seems like a lot of hassle to me for a better hole shot and 2 mph possibly, the time your hole shot and speed saves you is used up plus some for sure folding your talons down and up and tying them down..

Quote Originally Posted by Travel to fish View Post
    The posts are quite flexible, Ive dropped my units to the deck and bent them.

Seems like a lot of hassle to me for a better hole shot and 2 mph possibly, the time your hole shot and speed saves you is used up plus some for sure folding your talons down and up and tying them down..

I made the post to show how I modified my 15' Talons. I'm not telling anyone else to do the same thing... I am merely showing members possible options.

This idea came to me after seeing another post where a BBC member made a support stand out of wood for his Talons. While his idea was good; I like the fact that everything stays together and I'm not carrying extra parts in my storage bins. I even told him that my idea came after seeing his post.

First off; "I" don't drop my Talons down to begin with, and even if one should slip out of my hand, I couldn't visualize the posts "bending". They appear to be made from either nylon, ABS or carbon fiber...either is very strong. As far as the time it takes to ready them...by the time I have the trolling motor up and seat stowed.....my partner has the Talons down and strapped. Would it make a difference....not running a couple miles from spot to spot... But a 15-20 mile run...yes. It should also reduce the amount of fuel I use since I won't have two drags sitting much higher than the boat.

It is nice to be in 13-14' of water and drop the Talons instead of kicking on the Ulterras' "spot lock".

Besides....my toys....my way.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    I made the post to show how I modified my 15' Talons. I'm not telling anyone else to do the same thing... I am merely showing members possible options.

This idea came to me after seeing another post where a BBC member made a support stand out of wood for his Talons. While his idea was good; I like the fact that everything stays together and I'm not carrying extra parts in my storage bins. I even told him that my idea came after seeing his post.

First off; "I" don't drop my Talons down to begin with, and even if one should slip out of my hand, I couldn't visualize the posts "bending". They appear to be made from either nylon, ABS or carbon fiber...either is very strong. As far as the time it takes to ready them...by the time I have the trolling motor up and seat stowed.....my partner has the Talons down and strapped. Would it make a difference....not running a couple miles from spot to spot... But a 15-20 mile run...yes. It should also reduce the amount of fuel I use since I won't have two drags sitting much higher than the boat.

It is nice to be in 13-14' of water and drop the Talons instead of kicking on the Ulterras' "spot lock".

Besides....my toys....my way.
    If you get stuck under your garage door and back up youll break the tilt brackets and theyll slap down on the deck and they will be bent from the impact on the deck, you can bend them by hand they are only delrin, but they are tricky to try and straighten as they have to be bent past straight and spring back.

I saw the wood post also, I dont get that one either, he did it for towing to take the weight off the transom is my understanding and maybe to not forget to tilt them like I have and keep breaking the tilt brackets..

I bet your partner likes having that job of tilt and tie down your talons!! You could go 3 miles an hour slower and save that much fuel. Get a merc monitor and youll be amazed how much difference between just off wide open and wide open for fuel consumption.

Ulterra, they still sell those? ewww... hahaha
    Last edited by Travel to fish; 07-03-2018 at 06:32 AM.

I don't think I have to worry about my garage door knocking the Talons down...do you?

Besides, if I can't open the front door; as you can see, I had a duplicate 14' door added to the side of my "garage":

I would have to move the Bass Tracker and golf cart... but that's okay. I had a 2" hitch ball mounted onto the golf cart; so moving the tracker out of the way shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My partner (son in law) doesn't mind taking care of the Talons. In fact, he helped me rig it.

I've offered him the front deck numerous times; but he hates the Ulterra. We did, however, rig it with slide-on mount and added a mount to the bass tracker. We wanted to give the BT a little more "ummmff" when we had to use it for 9.9 hp lakes. You should see how quick that 36v Ulterra moves that tracker.

I also added Trick Steps to both rigs. Bad knees and old age.... but smart enough to learn how to compensate.

Also, I would love to see you bend that 8" stick of delrin with your hands. And the length from the bracket to the deck is only about 6". Do that; and I'm for you changing your ID to Hercules-The Traveling Fisherman.

7. Member
    nice garage makes my 1400ftr with 14ft middle door look like a shed.

Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    nice garage makes my 1400ftr with 14ft middle door look like a shed.
    Yeah, but we probably both have the same amount of room after filling it. Those pics were taken not long after I had it built. Here's what it looks like now:

I just couldn't resist posting those pics to reply to Travel to Fish.