Thread: Adviser ?

Question Adviser ?

So I have been managing my 401K work accounts and have done well. Retired and rolled everything into Vanguard. Wife wants me to use their advisory service. I like the control of doing it myself, and read everything I can get my hands on including an independent newsletter targeting Vanguard funds. Went into energy last summer when it was down. Went into Utilities earlier this year before the downturn. In the health care for the long haul. Several other funds, total about 8 or 9. Adviser recommends a total bond, total stock market, total international stock, total international bond as the only 4 funds. I know indexing is the recommendation for the long term. Wife wants me to just take 20 or 40 thousand and play with that and give the rest to the adviser. Thoughts ?

2. Member
    If you are comfortable making your own decisions then keep doing it. It sounds like you need an advisor you can bounce ideas off of rather than telling you what to do. I have two advisors and I pick some stocks I like and research them. Then I sometimes talk to them and see what they think or sometimes I just place an order.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Does it cost anything to use their advisory service? If not, then it never hurts to hear anothers opinion. The only benefit to an advisor might be if they know something you don't, tax law related or technicalities. Of course doing what the wife wants does have a benefit, it makes her happy.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    In my opinion the allocated portfolio would do you well if you are retired. Picking sectors can be rewarding but can also punish the hell out of you.