Glue for Aluminum

This is my first post and I have a question about what glue is best to use on the flooring of an aluminum boat. We have an 87 Grumman Renegade that the carpet in floor is needing to be replaced. What is the best glue to use so that the new flooring will stick. What prep should be done to the aluminum floor before the glue and carpet is applied. Thanks for your responses.

clean the floor good, maybe a light sand with 80 grit to rough it up, then > roller &
    Go to Lowes and pick up a gallon of contact cement from the Paint department. carpet direct to aluminum . and lay cardboard or plywood pieces with weights spaced out and let it sit and cure.. don't let it get wrinkles or air pockets in carpet while installing

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weld...-100139723-_-N

Welcome to BBC! You'll want to use Weldwood contact cement. Aluminum does not breathe, so a solvent based cement like Weldwood is what is needed to ensure a proper cure. Just use a paint roller to apply it both to the floor and the back of the carpet, let it dry so it turns hazy and your finger doesn't stick to it, then you have one chance and one chance only to stick it down so make sure your perfect. A trick is to put down a piece of garden hose between the carpet and floor to allow for positioning of the carpet. Once the carpet is exactly where you want it, slowly pull the garden hose out and allow the two surfaces to make contact.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

Contact cement. Stick it down while not completely set up, gives you management time.

Work out wrinkles.

5. Member
    Thank yall very much. I do appreciate it.

6. Member
    You can use cardboard, craft paper. just about anything to keep both glued surfaces from touching, after the glue is dry.. Then pull out while you lay the carpet down. Easy too do.

7. Member
    Contact Cement is the best thing to use, IMO. I just recently finished my aluminum boat and used nothing but contact cement. Regular on the flat surfaces and the Gel on vertical surfaces. I used a 2" or 3" chip paint brush to apply all.