Lithium battery on 250 Pro XS

Anyone here running one as a cranking battery. My thinking is as long as it meets the specs required it should work, right?
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

2. Member
    Correct.

3. Member
    Yep, I ran one for several years on my 2004 250XS, and now use the same battery on my 300XS.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    The question was about the 250 pro xs in general but here is my number to make things right

2B52741
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks, Shawn. Might want to check/update your number as it's incomplete.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Sorry about that

2B527411
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

8. Member
    Yes, been running a Relion 100ah for three years now on a 2013 PRO XS along with Lowrance 12 and 9. Had my Dual Pro four bank re-tooled for Lithium profiles. Have three of the Relion 75ah for trollers. No issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NCdud View Post
    Yes, been running a Relion 100ah for three years now on a 2013 PRO XS along with Lowrance 12 and 9. Had my Dual Pro four bank re-tooled for Lithium profiles. Have three of the Relion 75ah for trollers. No issues so far.
    Me too. Only time I notice any drag is on the initial start in the winter near freezing. It still starts though without any low voltage alarm.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Thanks for the feedback fellas
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

Do we have a lot of guys running lithium's now on 250 Pro XS? I'm thinking of it myself for cranking battery. If I can find a really good price may even do the TM BATTS.
    2B110748
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

Switch to lithium TM batteries before the cranking battery...Your weight savings and performance gains with the TM batteries far out weigh the value of a single lithium cranking battery...

I have run a lithium cranking battery on a Honda, Yamaha, Mercury, and Evrinrude without any issues.

13. Member
    Can a lithium battery be jumped by another battery? I'd be hesitant to install a lithium as a cranking battery because due to it's power delivery curve, you really don't know there is a problem until it's dead and unable to crank your motor. Yes, several have ran them for a few years successfully BUT in being prepared for that possible dead battery scenario, how would you boost it to get your big engine running and back home again?

Just a question and if those with them have had that experience yet.

I have a 12 volt jump post on my 36 volt lithium pros batteries that I have used a few times with my 12 volt lithium cranking battery.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes, you can with jump our batteries with a booster pak or with another battery, We no longer have the e-start post on our 36v batteries.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I have a 12 volt jump post on my 36 volt lithium pros batteries that I have used a few times with my 12 volt lithium cranking battery.
    Whats wrong with your lithium start battery that caused you to have to jump it a few times, was it defective already?

Ran it too low and didn't charge it...

I used it a few times in the same day...It was during a tournament so I had to use the jump switch on my boat multiple times...

18. Banned
    I run lithium batteries in my boat, never ever a single issue so are. jumping if I would ever need to, I have installed a Tournament Pro Saver. I installed it when I was using glass mat batteries and then just connected it to my lithium's. I have never had to use it with either battery configuration. But at least I have it. Something that I did find out, only after my purchase is that there is a company that sell's lithium batteries in NC that offers a free app. that you can put on your phone and you can monitor the batteries, life left, how many charges the batteries have received and a couple of other things I believe. Relion you cannot. To do so one would have to install a monitor gauge that they recommend and then blue tooth from there. Lithium in my opinion is the way to go for sure.

19. Member
    OK is it ok to run lithium for cranking on new 250 Pro XS ? I thought i read here that is would void some warranty ..maybe I am confused as usual.....
    You guys that are running lithiums and correct me please but, if i understand or read but do you just have like so many charge cycles on the lithiums and then they are history.Is that the reason or one of the reasons for having the app to keep track of the history and I am sure that you can track your AGM as well. I am new to the lithium and trying to understand the in and out of them . some of the threads talk about the cranking battery not being lith because of the charge rate on the new Merc 250's and if that is not true then I could go with like a 80ah lith and run everything but TM off that. am I correct in that way of thinking. I have Dual Pro 4 bank x 15 programed for Lithium and it also have the App for monitoring . I may be all backward and hopefully someone will chim in and educate me..

2b743244

Thanks
    Last edited by h2chuck; 12-15-2020 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Clarification
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h2chuck View Post
    OK is it ok to run lithium for cranking on new 250 Pro XS ? I thought i read here that is would void some warranty ..maybe I am confused as usual.....
    You guys that are running lithiums and correct me please but, if i understand or read but do you just have like so many charge cycles on the lithiums and then they are history.Is that the reason or one of the reasons for having the app to keep track of the history and I am sure that you can track your AGM as well. I am new to the lithium and trying to understand the in and out of them . some of the threads talk about the cranking battery not being lith because of the charge rate on the new Merc 250's and if that is not true then I could go with like a 80ah lith and run everything but TM off that. am I correct in that way of thinking. I have Dual Pro 4 bank x 15 programed for Lithium and it also have the App for monitoring . I may be all backward and hopefully someone will chim in and educate me..

2b743244

Thanks

Your engine is a FOURSTROKE model (this thread is in the 3L 2-stroke Forum).

Your V8 Fourstroke REQUIRES an AGM battery, with an absolute bare minimum of 975 CCA (especially in a fishing application). No other battery type is approved for use with these engines.

If you need further information, the next forum down is the appropriate place (one engine only per thread).