kerr lake crime?

I read a couple people in another thread both comment on how bad it has gotten around car lake as far as trucks getting broke into etc. I have not been up there in over ten years so I'm clueless. They did not mention any particular ramp. Wanted to know ya'lls feedback on the situation.

2. Member
    I live on Gaston and Fish Kerr. Put in in Va for both. I haven’t heard of any ramp break ins. Although I’m sure it happens everywhere now and again.
    1999 Ranger R81, Mercury EFI 175

One did mention the town of Henderson so maybe the south side in NC is the issue?

I’ve never had issues at any of the ramps but I’ve witnessed more than one vehicle/boat break in at the Magnuson hotel in Clarksville.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like the Magnuson needs to hire security patrol.....

6. Member
    Yeah stay out of Henderson unless you are well armed

10-4

8. Member
    I have a house on kerr. It is real nice around the lake, but Henderson is a dump. Shame as I would like to retire there but Clarksville Area doesn't have enough in it as far as restaurants, etc and Henderson is such a sh!thole I could never live there

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RECESS View Post
    I have a house on kerr. It is real nice around the lake, but Henderson is a dump. Shame as I would like to retire there but Clarksville Area doesn't have enough in it as far as restaurants, etc and Henderson is such a sh!thole I could never live there
    RECESS - think maybe I could pick your brain about property on Kerr some time?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

10. Banned
    Two items about Henderson to the South of Buggs Island(Kerr Lake). #1 chatted with a lawman from Henderson a few months ago to find there is a drug problem in Henderson, NC but that isn't New news for any city in this country. #2 item is when I've stayed in the Henderson, NC area I've stayed with Laura & David at Kerr Lake Lodging. They are located at 217 Granite Street in Henderson, NC 27536. They are a secure and very clean place to stay when going to Kerr Lake. If interested in staying there do call them prior to going @ 919-655-9504 or 240-439-0671 they fill up real fast. There email is snakehead1949@aol.com. Another item to remember concerning getting on Kerr Lake at any boat ramp is to remember, "Out of sight out of mind!" If you have something in your tow vehicle that looks of value hide it from view best you can. Use a gated boat ramp, best to pay a few dollars to use the ramp and not worry about a break in than to use a free ramp and risk a break in.

11. Banned
    Now over the last 15 years I had gone to Buggs Island and camped in my camper at Steele Creek campground, Hibernia, Henderson Point and Grassy Creek I have never been the victim of theft or vandalism. I had heard of some break ins of tow vehicles at the Grassy Creek boat access several years ago which called for the installation of a check in and pay shack at the entrance of the ramp area. I haven't heard of anything since this installation.

12. Member
    What is the best launch to use on VA side? Not worried about paying fee, want a safe place to leave vehicle.
    Semper Fi

13. Member
    Occaneache state park or Rudd’s creek are nice places and pretty safe. North Bend is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by Truck_fireman View Post
    Occaneache state park or Rudd’s creek are nice places and pretty safe. North Bend is also good.
    +1
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Just wanted to add I have never had a problem at any ramp on the lake I have owned my house for 13
    years. Has been broken in 1 time. They threw a slate through the rear sliding glass door and stole a television. Was basically the only thing of value in the house They broke into both neighbors home too. Other than that , no other theft until this year when someone cut a cable and stole a Jon boat off of my dock I can't stress enough that I love the area and a small amount of property crime needs to be expected. I believe warren county is the poorest in all of North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by RECESS View Post
    Just wanted to add I have never had a problem at any ramp on the lake I have owned my house for 13
    years. Has been broken in 1 time. They threw a slate through the rear sliding glass door and stole a television. Was basically the only thing of value in the house They broke into both neighbors home too. Other than that , no other theft until this year when someone cut a cable and stole a Jon boat off of my dock I can't stress enough that I love the area and a small amount of property crime needs to be expected. I believe warren county is the poorest in all of North Carolina.
    Lol a SMALL amount of property crime needs to be expected... sure. But I classify a SMALL amount of property crime to be someone stealing a life jacket off your dock, maybe a rod or two that you leave in the bed of your truck, a $20 bill that's sitting on your windshield. Someone breaking into 3 homes by breaking windows and stealing TVs, and cutting a cable to steal a jon boat is not necessarily what I would call a SMALL amount of property crime. That's horrible, and not "to be expected with a place at the lake."

My in laws and aunt/uncle have had places at SML for 20+ years and to my knowledge have NEVER had anything stolen from their dock, boats, houses, vehicles, etc. My best friend has a place at Lake Anna and we used to leave his wakeboard boat down at the dock with wakeboards, radios, life jackets, etc. right there in the boat overnight all the time and not a thing was ever taken, nor has any of our bass boats or vehicles or the lake house for that matter been broken into.

Henderson/Clarksville/Buggs Island area in general is starting to become a problem, whether you want to admit it or not. I'm not bashing the place, I love that lake just as much as the next guy, just stating facts.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

17. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    I now live on Kerr and work for the contractor that takes care of all the Army Corps of Engineers property (grounds) to include all of the Corps ramps (not the State parks). I have not heard this talked about in the office. As already stated Henderson is not a very good place to be after dark.
    Last edited by GamblerPro2; 07-25-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: additional info