CLE Lower question. Thanks for the help

Guys I am going to look at a 1 owner Allison xb2003. Its has a 95 Pro Max which came stock with the CLE lower. Are there any concerns I should consider with this lower compared to the sportmaster I have? My buddy is looking to buy.
    2003 Bullet 21XDC with 2012 250 Mercury Sport XS
    1997 Allison 2003 with Mercury 225 Pro Max

not a fan of a stock CLE, put a cone on it, it will be one of the best cases you can run

3. Member
    The sportmaster was the replacement for the CLE. The sportmaster is pretty much better in every way. CLE has a smaller propshaft and some other internal differences. Also, the case is much shorter and is likely to blowout on an Allison above 90 without modification. They still are good cases, but the sportmaster is better.

4. Member
    My buddy that is buying the boat will not be running it over 90. He just wants a great looking boat to drive 2-3 miles to the sand bar. Will the CLE serve that purpose ? He has never owned a pad boat so it will take several months for him to hit 70

5. Member
    My coned cle is a couple mph faster on average than my sportmaster, it should be fine iirc the stock cle without an added cone won’t blow out till high 80’s on a 2003.

I’ve seen testing reports on it before and it was somewhere in that range.

6. Member
    Please tell your friend to be careful as he learns to drive the boat. Always wear a life jacket and hook up the kill switch.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmoss View Post
    My buddy that is buying the boat will not be running it over 90. He just wants a great looking boat to drive 2-3 miles to the sand bar. Will the CLE serve that purpose ? He has never owned a pad boat so it will take several months for him to hit 70
    I would think so. Does the CLE have 2 cooling water inlets, or 4? The 4 hole is the later version and has a few internal differences as the result of issues with the earlier CLE. The CLE has hardened gears so it should be just as reliable as any production case would be. I think it will work for him.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSmile View Post
    I would think so. Does the CLE have 2 cooling water inlets, or 4? The 4 hole is the later version and has a few internal differences as the result of issues with the earlier CLE. The CLE has hardened gears so it should be just as reliable as any production case would be. I think it will work for him.
    The 4-hole cle units have the exact same internals as the small shaft Sportmaster units, nothing wrong with that. The '95's were 4-hole.

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmoss View Post
    Guys I am going to look at a 1 owner Allison xb2003. Its has a 95 Pro Max which came stock with the CLE lower. Are there any concerns I should consider with this lower compared to the sportmaster I have? My buddy is looking to buy.
    As stated, the cle's will blow out on an Allison at higher speeds, other than that they're fine.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the help quys. The boat still have original cable steering as well. How smooth do you think it will be? Mine has hydro. But my old 89 stratos was hard to turn.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    The 4-hole cle units have the exact same internals as the small shaft Sportmaster units, nothing wrong with that. The '95's were 4-hole.
    My 4 hole has the single bearing driveshaft instead of the duel in the sm only difference I know of

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    My 4 hole has the single bearing driveshaft instead of the duel in the sm only difference I know of
    You are correct, the cle and torquemaster units do have the single upper drive shaft bearing.

13. Member
    You are correct, the cle and torquemaster units do have the single upper drive shaft bearing.
    is it an easy mod to put one of your 3l 15” shafts in a cle?

my 3l shaft in my sm is still taking a beating and holding up perfect in my Sm btw

How do you know all these things without his serial number???
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post

Hahahahaha

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post

Brian, you old

17. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    is it an easy mod to put one of your 3l 15” shafts in a cle?

my 3l shaft in my sm is still taking a beating and holding up perfect in my Sm btw
    You could take a stock 2.5L 20" shaft and have it cut and resplined to a 15", or use a 3.0L shaft with a spacer or a bearing center race as a spacer in place of the small second bearing. Pretty easy either way.

Glad shaft is doing great in your SM.