Help identifying bass versus other fish

I fished a reservoir in kentucky this past weekend that has alot of bass school up on big points and offshore structure. It does not have current though like the TN river, so I am a little confused sometimes when trying to identify bass on the down imaging. It seems that the best shots I got did not produce any/many bass and the places I saw 3-6 bass usually produced a fish or more.

What do you guys see in these pics? Any feedback on the quality of my pictures is appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

2. Member
    Quality of pics looks pretty good IMO

Not sure on species

3. Member
    those look like bass to me very good quality on the pics

4. Member
    thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I do think I caught much/anything on most of these spots. I think now that most of them are white bass or hybrids.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I do think I caught much/anything on most of these spots. I think now that most of them are white bass or hybrids.
    What are you throwing?

A small spoon or a 3/4 blade bait will usually catch everything but carp.

6. Member
    Threw plenty of typical bass baits. Should have tried something that I know will catch whites and hybrids. Good idea.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    Threw plenty of typical bass baits. Should have tried something that I know will catch whites and hybrids. Good idea.

The images look like bass but could be white bass or small stripers. Try a 3/4 oz blade bait or vertical jig a small spoon.

8. Member
    Vertical spoons always work for whatever it is. Smaller ones for the white bass for sure.

9. Member
    I like the SI and DI for locating structure, bait balls and, ocassionally, fish. But prefer the full screen 2D for fishing, especially when vertical spooning or drop shotting. One October a few years ago we caught around 70 fish in one location spooning. Eight different species inc LMB, SMB, Spots, Walleye, White Bass, Catfish, Crappie and Bluegill. Fishing from 30’ to 105’. Deeper water the fish were on top of standing timber. Drop spoon down until you tick the tree tops, crank the reel twice and start spooning.

Some call it Video Game fishing. If you set your unit properly you can see your spoon and watch the fish streak up to it. Love spooning. Its been working this summer as well.

10. Member
    On my HDS 12 Carbon a 2.5 lb bass will be about the size of a #2 pencil eraser in 10-12' of water. w/ you 9 they will be slightly smaller. In you 4th pic/ next to last the brighter images are definitely larger fish, probably bass. Wo/ a spoon or dropshot it's hard to tell species. Also unless they are feeding your bass will normally be spread out horizontally (like in pic 4) and not stacked vertically. vertical stacks are usually crappie, white bass or perch. If the bass are feeding you will see heavy streaking up and down the screen and usually a surface fish busting bait.

Here’s bass chasing shad