Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

braid leader knot for light fluoro?

So I have tried crazy alberto, and used stren knot for years, and no idea how to tie the FG knot. My knot keeps breaking now that I am using 6 lbs. fluro on drop shot. I need knot recommendations.

2. Member
    I use a Double - Uni. Quick and easy to tie.

3. Member
    I could never get the FG knot to work either. First try with the Double Uni knot and it works great!

4. Member
    Been using double uni. Breaking easily with lighter fluro.

5. Member
    I tie a modified Albright Knot (YouTube Seth Feider tying it for light line)... been a very good knot for me on 10# braids to smaller fluorocarbon. Easy to tie after a couple times and small enough to go through micro guides.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    Breaking at the knot, not the knot itself right?

7. Member
    Yes.

8. Member
    Alberto is good for me , 6 lb fluoro to 12 lb so far

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    Then you're doing it wrong. I use a single uni for 10# braid to 6 and 8 flouro, and have no problem whatsoever. 4 wraps.

If it's more than 10# I'll usually tie a fast Uni/Uni. However, when I'm tying 6# or even 10# in low light or in the wind I'll reach for my blood knot tool. I prefer a blood knot anyway because the tag ends are on the inside of the knot instead of the outside. Goes through the guides better than any knot except for the FG, which I also find impossible to tie with any reasonable amount of effort and time.

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    For light leaders I tie the lazy/half alberto. Google Shin Fukae knot, there's a video

12. Banned
    alberto

^^What rooster said^^

I've had very good luck using a J knot but it can be troublesome for me to tie at times. Makes me wish I had an Ultrex as I drift toward the rocks.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Royal Polaris knot

16. Member
    FG all the way
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

17. Member
    I've been using the blood knot exclusively for the last 2.5 years. No issues whatsoever.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I've switched to the Alberto for leader knots with light line this year. I'm going to be trying that Shin / "lazy Alberto" in the coming weeks as it has some features that are very attractive to me.

The FG works great if you get it to work, but unless you're extremely careful the wraps want to roll over one another when you're using light line. The size of the knot is also far less important with lighter line so the slightly thicker diameter of the knot isn't nearly as important here. With heavier line I'm still an FG man - much tougher to mess up, the thinnest knot you can tie, and of course very strong.

I actually find the FG easier to tie with heavy lines than the Alberto, and of course the reverse with lighter lines. I've always wanted to be able to just use one knot for each task, but the more I experiment the more I start to see how each has its advantages and drawbacks. At least this is how it seems to be for me. Like anything, your mileage may vary.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've switched to the Alberto for leader knots with light line this year. I'm going to be trying that Shin / "lazy Alberto" in the coming weeks as it has some features that are very attractive to me.

The FG works great if you get it to work, but unless you're extremely careful the wraps want to roll over one another when you're using light line. The size of the knot is also far less important with lighter line so the slightly thicker diameter of the knot isn't nearly as important here. With heavier line I'm still an FG man - much tougher to mess up, the thinnest knot you can tie, and of course very strong.

I actually find the FG easier to tie with heavy lines than the Alberto, and of course the reverse with lighter lines. I've always wanted to be able to just use one knot for each task, but the more I experiment the more I start to see how each has its advantages and drawbacks. At least this is how it seems to be for me. Like anything, your mileage may vary.
    I only tie FG on leaders over 15lb these days. I don't like to tension light floro leaders as much as I feel I have to for a proper lock on FG knots. And unless your braid is roughly 1:2 diameter of your leader, half the time it won't bite into light floro. The half alberto does great with light line, with the added bonus of never unraveling. And like you said...knot size is irrelevant when I'm fishing 4/6lb leader.

20. Member
    I've used the FG knot in the past but now I use the shin knot and have been really happy with it.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast