Question Mercury SC 1000 Gauges

For those with V20’s and Mercury SC1000 gauges, are you using them for keeping track of your fuel usage by calibrating them first and adding fuel in quarter increments? Is there a Mercury sensor in the fuel tank to allow you to calibrate it? What Mercury gauges are on the new ones?
    Thanks for your input!

2. Member
    I have a 2017 V20. Th dealer put fuel in it before I picked it up so I was not able to calibrate while the tank was fully empty. Now its a pain in the butt to run the tanks low enough to do a calibration. I intends to carry as portable tank with gas and run main tank down as low as possible then fill the tank using the calibration method. I spoke to factory and they said to use 47 gallons for the tank in calibrating since they never hold 100% due to EPA rules. My understanding is they do have a sensor in the tank.

Unless you have a very strange shaped fuel tank, the standard or default calibration works just fine. You just have to set the number of gallons and the % of fuel remaining for “fuel low” and “fuel critical” messages. Also most marine tanks have an unuseable amount of fuel...usually only a gallon or two. I have two 26gal tanks. I set the capacity at 24.

“SC1000” is a whole series of gauges. Do you have the Smartcraft speedo and tach, System monitor, Mercmonitor etc? Also, the fuel tank(s) require a separate harness to have fuel levels sent to the Smartcraft network. You MUST have this harness.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    The tank in the V20 is a belly tank so it is in fact a strange shape. On mine the standard/default setting causes a low fuel warning even when there is 15 gallons. I have started to use only the fuel used to determine how much gas I have but not entirely confident in that. Autigerz, I would calibrate as you suggest in 1/4 increments as provided for in the manual if possible and then compare with the fuel used to see how accurate. That is what I plan on doing.

I had a big belly tank in my last boat and the default worked fine. Like I said in my other post, check your fuel level message setting. The defaults are typically too high. I have mine set to as low as they will go. The default is normally 25% remaining.

Here is an example of an odd shaped tank...
    Attached Images Attached Images

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Member
    Thanks. I will try and find the fuel level message setting and change.

7. Member
    Hey 06-B. I cannot locate the fuel level message setting. Can you tell he how to find it and reset.

What Smartcraft Instrument do you have? Mercmonitor or Tach/Speedo?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

9. Member
    Tach/Speedo