Fresh carpet install ,carpet feels tacky after fishing in rain

Installed some new 16 oz carpet from bassboats seats and was very pleased with the look of the new carpet.I let the boat sit in my garage for 2+ weeks to make sure everything had bonded well.Recently took the boat out got caught in a good little rain storm Before the weather cleared and the sun came out.I started noticing my foot was sticky so i ran my hand over the carpet and it was very Tacky/sticky feeling.Had one small spot try to come up should be easy fix with a little contact cement .But where did i go wrong and anyway to remedy this. This is the glue i used when installing.I also noticed that the glue still seems soft /tacky feeling that was left on the trowel even 2-3 weeks after use i would have thought it would be a more dry harder consistency

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEC-Skill-S...allon/50416384

2. Member
    You will have to tear it all out and start over. You went the cheap way on the glue and it bit you in the azz..
    2015 189 trx

Looks like the adhesive you used is outdoor rated carpet adhesive, so that should have worked. Something is wrong not letting it flash off. I would talk to the manufacturer first. Of course all they can do is replace the adhesive.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Weld wood contact cement in the red can is the way to go.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

I wouldn't tear anything out just yet, the product you used should be up to the task and is very similar to the type of glue offered by bass boat seats.com. Air it out well and let it dry. I have noticed too that these types of adhesives sometimes take a while to fully cure. The type of glue you used is an air dry glue, not a solvent dry glue like contact adhesive. Do to the nature of how boats are made, it may be difficult for the product to cure naturally. I would place fans on the boat in a covered garage to allow proper air flow and promote curing. Good luck!
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Banned
    Not the best adhesive to use but it will work. The adhesive never fully cured so when it got wet, it got a lil mushy. Being in the garage dont help either, cool and damp. Best thing to do is leave it out in the sun and let the heat fully cure the glue. But, make sure you put it in the garage if rain is on its way. After a week or two in the hot sun, its ready to be served.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi1980 View Post
    Not the best adhesive to use but it will work. The adhesive never fully cured so when it got wet, it got a lil mushy. Being in the garage dont help either, cool and damp. Best thing to do is leave it out in the sun and let the heat fully cure the glue. But, make sure you put it in the garage if rain is on its way. After a week or two in the hot sun, its ready to be served.
    +1. Park it in the hot sun for a few days.

8. Member
    I know it may not have been the best glue but i had a few people local recomend it as they used it on there carpet jobs to good success.After putting 2 fans in the boat for 2 days it does seem to not as tacky feeling when i run my hand over the carpet.Going to park it outside the next two days as we going to have 95+ degree weather.It just caught me off guard when the top layer of carpet was sticky when you run your hand over it .the decks seem fine and holding well it seems just had one spot in the floor come up looks like it was not glued down well enough.Plus had some standing water in the bottom so that did not help.The drain is about useless in my boat i am seriously thinking of installing 2 more drain holes in front of each seat as it just puddles up a good 2 inchs

9. Member
    Here is the boat right after carpet install,Still working on cleaning the old girl up,not bad for a 99 model boat.Need to run some factory decals down and two new windscreens and she should be good to go minus a few little personal touches

https://www.facebook.com/christopher...5559749809013/

10. Member
    I re-carpeted mine a couple years ago and put padding up front. After the first few rains some kind of foam, suds (something) was coming out of the padding. It looked like I was having one of those foam parties on my front deck. All good now. Maybe time and being in the sun will fix your issue.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Weld wood contact cement in the red can is the way to go.
    yup

12. Member
    Hi, it’s Tricia at Boatcarpet.com. If you haven’t made a glue decision yet, I can send you the spec sheet for some AAT 390. Many water based adhesives are not suitable for fiberglass or aluminum so you have to read the fine print. If you’d like a copy, I can send you 8 pages of details. I’ve spent some time getting details on it from the glue manufacturer and our customers have had good luck with this one on your surface. My email is customer.service.carpet@gmail.com

Good luck with your project and have a great summer!

13. Member
    Westwood landau contact cement only way to go. Once applied it is not coming loose...