Brand new Nitro Z21 not going over 4900 rpms

I recently purchased a brand new Nitro Z21 with a Mercury 250 Pro XS but I'm unable to go over 4900rpms with a top speed of 55mph. I completed the break in process just like it said and now have about 20 hours on the motor but it's clearly not performing like it should. We have a 24p fury and have also tried a 26 tempest plus with the same problem, it won't go over 4900 rpms. Very frustrating considering it's brand new and should be reaching 6000 rpms and top speeds of 70+. Does anybody have any ideas?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated

My first call would be to the dealer. Obviously something is wrong, either with the motor or with setup (throttle cable, etc.). I would let the dealer figure it out.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    You're right, I'm taking it to the dealer next weekend. I was just wondering if this has happened to anybody before.

4. Member
    Make sure it's getting wide open throttle first. The dealer may have to do that if it's a new 4 stroke. Next would be motor height. Then maybe a 23p fury but if its light a 24 should still work. If all that doesn't work and the motor checks out then I would put a straight 2×4 on the bottom of the hull and make sure it doesn't have a hook. Haven't seen it on the big boats but a few z7s had an issue of coming out of the mold to soon and causing the hull to sag a little

5. Member
    Motor height or engine issue would seem most likely to me. I know my Ranger came from the factory with the engine too low and I was maxing at 5300 rpm (same engine), raising the engine via the manual jackplate solved my problem. As other have said, first stop would be the dealer.

Good luck
    Robert

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    My first call would be to the dealer. Obviously something is wrong, either with the motor or with setup (throttle cable, etc.). I would let the dealer figure it out.
    Bing go .....back to dealer , dont touch a thing ?

Sure you are, but since no one asked, are you trimming the motor up fully?
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Member
    Had same problem on my z7. Throttle wasn’t open all the way. Quick fix at the dealer hopefully!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Sure you are, but since no one asked, are you trimming the motor up fully?
    Legitimate question since we do not know the OP’s boating experience. If you are then don’t touch a thing until you take it back to the dealer.

10. Banned
    Probably a bad coil... Dan

11. Member
    Take it to dealer I run same boat 4 blade 24 fury 6100 at 70.2 speed and with a 3 blade tempest plus worked 25 turns 5900 at 73.3 mph

12. Member
    I am trimming the motor up fully and have been playing with the atlas hydraulic jackplate but it still won't go over 4900 rpms. Taking it to the dealer and not messing with anything seems like the right call.

Thanks guys!

The only similar issue I’ve heard of was a new 2017 Z21 with a Merc 250 Pro XS falling on its face during WOT. After an extensive search of diagnosis, they ended up pulling the top cap off and replaced the fuel tank and faulty fuel pick up line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cruvellier View Post
    I am trimming the motor up fully and have been playing with the atlas hydraulic jackplate but it still won't go over 4900 rpms. Taking it to the dealer and not messing with anything seems like the right call.

Thanks guys!
    Who's your dealer?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

15. Member
    Since we are guessing - I'll say Hotfoot cable

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    Since we are guessing - I'll say Hotfoot cable
    Not the cable, 4900 rpm's is your down 1 cylinder you have a bad coil or plug easy fix.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Make sure you"re getting WOT. It very well could be the stop on the Hot Foot is set to high.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs