Thread: Set Back?

Set Back?

I am at 12 and I am going to go back to 14. I have a 1994 model 2003 so the pad isn't set back into the hull as far as the post 95 models. What are the dangers of having to much set back?

I had a 94 and I ran 14 with a 2.5, I know you have 3.0, I dont see a problem, try it and let us know

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I am at 12 and I am going to go back to 14. I have a 1994 model 2003 so the pad isn't set back into the hull as far as the post 95 models. What are the dangers of having to much set back?
    I have 13" on a 1995 with a 2.5 and it responds well to trim and holeshot is good. If 12" performs good for you try it like Myron said and see what you think

I was just wondering if there is any rules or things that must be done that go along with adding setback? I am thinking I can run higher and it should give me more bow lift.

5. Member
    How much set back did you end up going with? Do you know the length of the throttle cable?

6. Member
    I am moving from 8.5 to 10.5 on my 21 and will be removing the 2.5” factory riser if you need. I think the faster you go the more setback is needed wanted to keep the prop in the peak of the wave behind the boat...

I think until you are running negative trim above 80 I don’t know if there is an issue??? But I am a novice/no science. Just theories

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I am moving from 8.5 to 10.5 on my 21 and will be removing the 2.5” factory riser if you need. I think the faster you go the more setback is needed wanted to keep the prop in the peak of the wave behind the boat...

I think until you are running negative trim above 80 I don’t know if there is an issue??? But I am a novice/no science. Just theories

If K dawg isn't interested in the 2.5 set back spacer let me know I may be .

8. Member
    Will do

I am now at 14", thanks for the offer on the 2.5" but, I am good for now.

10. Member
    And you like it? Same setback as 2.5?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    And you like it? Same setback as 2.5?
    This is all very interesting as I remember quite some time ago on an XB2003, it seemed the general consensus was that with all the additional weight of a 3 liter motor, setback had to be greatly reduced, like from 14 inches to 3-4 inches. I'm not questioning it, just find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    This is all very interesting as I remember quite some time ago on an XB2003, it seemed the general consensus was that with all the additional weight of a 3 liter motor, setback had to be greatly reduced, like from 14 inches to 3-4 inches. I'm not questioning it, just find it interesting.
    When I first put it on I had it on a 5.5" plate and it killed the performance of the hull. I have since moved back to the original set back. There is a thread over on A owners site that got dug up. Glen Reynolds set one up with a 250XS. He left the set back because the motor need to be in clean water to run correctly. He moved the trolling batteries up front to restore balance. I have one battery in front of the hump. But, I think I am going to move it back into the rear compartment. I don't feel like I am getting enough lift in the front. Reason I feel this way is because I can run with my trim all the way up. I need to get the weight out of the front and back to the rear.

13. Member
    When I first put it on I had it on a 5.5" plate and it killed the performance of the hull. I have since moved back to the original set back. There is a thread over on A owners site that got dug up. Glen Reynolds set one up with a 250XS. He left the set back because the motor need to be in clean water to run correctly. He moved the trolling batteries up front to restore balance. I have one battery in front of the hump. But, I think I am going to move it back into the rear compartment. I don't feel like I am getting enough lift in the front. Reason I feel this way is because I can run with my trim all the way up. I need to get the weight out of the front and back to the rear.
    What props are you running when you feel you aren't getting enough bow lift?

What props are you running when you feel you aren't getting enough bow lift?
    Pro max the don’t seem have a bow lift problem. Have a weight problem. My trolling motor is way to big (minn Kota 54” along with a 70 pound group 31 battery. I think the whole boat runs to wet. Alone empty well with a 1/4 tank of gas she a different boat. Add full tank, partner, full wells and fishing load. She don’t want to fly high and run good numbers.

15. Member
    Pro max the don’t seem have a bow lift problem. Have a weight problem. My trolling motor is way to big (minn Kota 54” along with a 70 pound group 31 battery. I think the whole boat runs to wet. Alone empty well with a 1/4 tank of gas she a different boat. Add full tank, partner, full wells and fishing load. She don’t want to fly high and run good numbers.
    And how high are you running your gear case?

And how high are you running your gear case?
    1/16” below the pad.