Change of plans...need help finding Minnesota lake

Every year my family and my wife’s family go over to the Mississippi River for an extended 4th of July week. Unfortunately due to high water, our plans got scrapped this year. My wife is really bummed about it. She wants to go somewhere else but we’re not sure where. I’d love to go up into Minnesota, but need some help figuring out a good lake up there. My kids love to swim, my wife loves to water ski, and I love to bass fish. So, we’re looking for a lake that’s going to be big enough for skiing, has a beach or sand bars for the kids to play in the water, and has good bass fishing (preferably largemouth). A campground would be great as we would prefer to camp instead of stay at a hotel. I would love it if it were a lake that wasn’t a high traffic lake. I figure with 10,000 lakes to choose from, there’s got to be a few that would work, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, we live in NE Iowa, about an hour from the Minnesota border. We’d like to stay within a 5 hour drive, so nothing more than a couple hours north of Minneapolis. Thanks for any input!

2. Banned
    Lake Vermillion.

i would drive the extra two hours and go to Rainy Lake

3. Member
    dewyg0606...thanks for the suggestion. What does Rainy Lake offer that would make it worth the extra 2 hour drive?

4. mnranger
    I'm not sure what area or pool you were heading to but the river is set to come back down quickly, most flooding will be gone by this weekend and the 4th week should be fine.
    rainy and vermilion are both beautiful lakes but you won't have the sand you are used to, rock is less forgiving as swimming spot!!

5. Member
    Whitefish would fit the bill as well. Lots of room and plenty of fish.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I feel you want to camp, Voyagers Natl Park has tremendous camp sites on Rainy. And the fishing ain't bad either

7. Member
    I appreciate the help guys. I do keep an eye on the river levels whenever we are going to be heading to the Mississippi River (pool 9), and I see they are going to be dropping. Unfortunately, my wife's family has already changed their plans and they are going to be going to a closer campground at a small lake less than an hour from where we live. This lake is no good for swimming or water skiing (no wake lake), so it's out. Wherever we wind up going, it'll just be me, the wife, and the kids. I did look at Whitefish, but am leaning more towards Vermilion.

8. Banned
    Only time I have been on Vermiion, it was terrible. Way to many pleasure boaters and fishermen everywhere. You won't see a ton of people on Rainy, I have been there a couple times and the fishing if incredible.

9. Banned
    Rainy had limited boaters and amazing fishing. It’s like your own private lake. I live on Rainy and see very little boat traffic, compared to when we lived on Lake of the woods. Went out with my wife the other day and found an empty beach and spent the day swimming and relaxing. No pressure no being bothered.

Green Lake, good fishing including Smallies, great water ( like Okoboji). You might as well be like everyone else and bring a water turd or two along with ya.

11. Member
    Rainy is great, not a ton for the family to do if they need things to do... But if they don't, I would definitely camp in the park. If Rainy doesn't work, check Grand Rapids area, Walker, or Alexandria. There are many places that will have nice beaches, good fishing, and enough to do.

12. Member
    Check out the Brainerd area or Leech Lake.

You didn't mention why you rejected the Whitefish Chain. We've been doing family vacations there since the mid 80s. Army Corps campground is very nice with beach and boat launch. It's right in town with mini golf and ice cream shops within walking distance. 14 lakes in the Chain and they are beautiful. Plentiful LM but not a lot of bigguns.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Pick any lake in Otter Tail County. They are almost all very good for your wish list.

15. Member
    I agree on any Lake in Otter Tail County

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamTuna View Post
    Pick any lake in Otter Tail County. They are almost all very good for your wish list.
    This.... I just got back from spending a week in Detroit Lakes and crushed them. Granted I did a lot of fishing north of Detroit Lakes at Bad Medicine but it's still only an hour away from ottertail county

17. Member
    I appreciate all the help! Still not decided on where we're going to go. I would love to go to Rainy or Vermilion, but the wife doesn't want to drive that far. I'll check out some of the lakes in Otter Tail County since that's more like a 4 hour drive. Again, thanks for all your input!

18. Banned
    If plans don't get changed I will be on Rainy next week.

19. Member
    Why is it every year we hear about how snow birds should stay home and yet we welcome our southern friends to share our natural resources during their heat of summer?