Ausable River and lake Huron

I will be staying 6 days starting August 4th on the river would like to try to head out to Main lake to fish Smallies. Any reefs there like Erie and how far out must you go to find depth. they like or use? Have a great respect for the big lakes so safety is my first concern. Any help I would grateful. Thanks

2. Banned
    Good luck getting any help from this group I asked a while back with little response.. I was just up there in the au Gres river area .. I didn’t get to make it out on the big water much cause it blew the whole time .. I was told and figured by looking on the map that the charity island area should be the area to find them .. it’s a run out there tho . In the Tawas bay there’s a man made rock reef it shows up on your map . It’s definitely different than erie not as much rock and lots of sand .. good luck let me know how u do

3. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    I have a place in Oscoda,Mi to tell the truth I've never wanted to go out there... I did once just to fish the mouth of the river but since you can not drop shot I gave up quick, Just not much structure out there... Im up that way most weekends If you like I can ask around town .. I fish foot pond or one of the other impoundments or Van Etten lake fishes very good... btw when you go up the river from the main lake (Huron) the water gets real skinny quick maybe 600 yards of deeper water. then you will run into Kayaks' good luck :-)

Here is my number if you want to meet up to BS on the weekend...

Don LaPorte
    734-740-0812 call or txt

4. Member
    Thanks Don will put it my phone

The Au sable itself has some good fishing

6. Member
    Cooke damn pond and foote pond do have some good Smallmouth fishing and rockbass
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

7. Belleville Lake, Michigan dlaport1's Avatar
    Foot Pond fishes kinda tough for me, but I'm not that good at fishing... I just love being out on the boat. I really struggle finding fish but don't let it discourage me..

the river itself from lake Huron for the most part is very shallow water but like I said earlier one of the impoundments would be a better choice more up the river try any of the following Alcona dam pond ,Cooke dam pond ,Foot dam pond, Five Channels dam pond or Loud dam pond tons of water on that river system

Don

8. Member
    Alcona can be good to nice campground there to if you are in to camping
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

9. Member
    Well Headed there August 3rd. Anyone know river conditions? Been dry in Ohio last month or so just hit miss rain but heavy where it hits. Will get ahold of Don this week.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Good luck getting any help from this group I asked a while back with little response.. I was just up there in the au Gres river area .. I didn’t get to make it out on the big water much cause it blew the whole time .. I was told and figured by looking on the map that the charity island area should be the area to find them .. it’s a run out there tho . In the Tawas bay there’s a man made rock reef it shows up on your map . It’s definitely different than erie not as much rock and lots of sand .. good luck let me know how u do
    I don't think anyone is holding back info if that is what you are implying....That region is not a real popular spot for bass fisherman and I don't know of anyone that runs tournaments out of Northern Lake Huron so info is scarce..
    I have fished alot of water in this state but I have only been North of Tawas in Lake Huron a handful of times and that was up at Thunder bay.
    If you want to catch smallies run to the charities and fish deeper water around there...but you shouldn't run out there without someone with experience..That is probably why some are a little timid on sending you there...
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 07-23-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Member
    Thanks for all the help. Had a great trip with family. Caught enough that I fished only the river for 6 days great area for a family trip.