Thread: Chip in Boat

Chip in Boat

Should have posted in here first but didn't realize....Was wondering if this is this something I could repair myself or should have a professional do it? Not very deep at all. Was able to wet sand and polish around chip but the chips noticeable. If something I could possible do what are the steps? Thanks for any info.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Just in case anyone following:

So I'm about halfway there with repairs. Pretty easy so far. Did the wet sanding first and then the polish buffing. Then spot hit some of the flake with a red marker. Only thing left is to gelcoat patch and then buff out again. Waiting on gelcoat patch now. If you have some of these little dings on the gelcoat its something you can definitely do. Otherwise its about a 300 buck repair at professional shop.

3. Member
    About 3/4's of the way there. Filled in the chip with clear patch. Will let set for about a week and then wet sand and polish out then wax.

4. Member

5. Member
    Well, repair is complete. Not impressed with the clear patch gel though. It dried darker, but all in all I'm okay with it. It'll have to do for now.

Clear gel is clear - it doesn't darken as it cures. The darkness is likely the magic marker color that differs from the surrounding flake color.

My guess is for those two shallow dings (in the first pic, doesn't appear they went completely through the flake?) you could have left them uncolored and just used the clear gelcoat, and it may have been invisible repair. Or painted a light coat of gel in the area, then blown a little red flake on it, and clear over it it would have disappeared.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Clear gel is clear - it doesn't darken as it cures. The darkness is likely the magic marker color that differs from the surrounding flake color.

My guess is for those two shallow dings (in the first pic, doesn't appear they went completely through the flake?) you could have left them uncolored and just used the clear gelcoat, and it may have been invisible repair. Or painted a light coat of gel in the area, then blown a little red flake on it, and clear over it it would have disappeared.
    The package says it darkens when it dries. Didn't realize that until I read the fine print today...haha...No big deal. Can't tell from a distance at least. I think next time I'll just purchase some clear gelcoat instead of the patch. See how that works.

Clear gel dries clear....I defiantly wouldn’t want it to darken.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

It darkens with pigment in it, is what they mean....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team