Thread: True story

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar

2. Banned
    Good thing he found you. I'd like to think, that even if he didn't find you, you would've received an amendment in the mail voiding the citation.

3. Member
    There are a few good and honest folks left.
    Praying for a Cure

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    You must have been in Texas,,, none of the small town revenue generators (cops)would have done that in Louisiana , I swear this state has to have the most corrupt cops and public figures than anywhere else in the country,,, but anyway glad it worked out for you
    No I was on the outskirts of Many, LA

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Make sure you call or email his supervisor. He deserves a pat on the back!!!... Dan
    I will do that today

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    There are no downhill slopes down south.....
    It was in Many, not much of a slope but enough to gain a few mph

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    Today I'm driving through a small town pulling my empty dump trailer, on the outskirts of town there is a down hill slope and I start picking up speed so I started pumping the brakes a lil, look down and I'm doing 54 mph, look up and see speed limit sign 55 mph about 50 yards ahead, then see a city police officer parked on opposite side of the road, as I pass the police car and the 55 mph sign he turns on the blue lights, makes a u turn and comes up behind me. Damn I think to myself.

He tells me he pulled me over for 55 mph in a 35 mph zone. I said it's a 45 mph zone and I just crossed the sign that showed 55mph, long story short he writes me a ticket for 55 in a 35, tells me to have a blessed day and I say hope you are pleased with yourself and take off.

About 8 or so miles out of this town I look in the mirror and see blue lights on me again, I think what the hell did I do now. I pull over thinking its a sheriffs deputy since I am way past the city limits. The officer gets out the car and starts walking to me, it's the city officer, I'm thinking now, oh chit, he didn't like what I said to him..

i lower the the window and he says sir I need to apologize to you, you were right, the sign is a 55 mph sign, you were in a 45 mph zone. He said after he wrote the ticket he made a u turn to go back into town, looked in his mirror and saw the sigh said 55 mph, there has been talk about changing the sign to 55 and I didn't know they changed it. I need to get the ticket back that I gave you and it will be voided. I start rummaging around looking for the ticket and he continues to apologize to me. He says it's ok if you can't find it, I will have my Sargent void it tonight. I find the ticket hand it to him and say you sure you are going to void this, yes sir and again I am sorry about this.

Folks I am not making this chit up, I still can't believe this officer had the integrity to admit his wrong, he traveled outside his jurisdiction to correct his wrong with me face to face.
    Now, don't you wish you had been nice as well.

USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

10. Member
    its called integrity to him

11. Member
    Nice deal there Mark. Many of the small towns have made traffic citations their...bread and butter. Around 12 years ago, a few guys from here qualified for the regional on Lake Dardanelle in Ark. So me and two other guys decided to follow each other up there and back. We made it up there without incident, but decided to pass through the large Metropolis of Lake Providence on the way back. We were all in a row going through the town, I was last. The front guy was following a Cadillac El Derado...the speed limit was 35, and everyone, including the Caddy was doing 35. We was almost right in front of what looked to be the courthouse, and a patrol car sitting there. There was a stop sign right after, and had to take a right in order to get on the road to the interstate. This patrol car comes zooming by us after the stop sign, pulls over, and waves all 3 of us over the the side of the road, and gets his ticket book out. He let the caddy keep going. He told us we were doing 35 in a 25 zone. We told him 35 was the speed limit, and he said the speed limit change several hundred yards before the stop sign, to 25 mph. One guy asked him why he did not pull over the lead car, the Caddy, and the officer asked him if we wanted to...take a ride. We did not want to ...take a ride.. so we told him to just give us our tickets. I rode back around, and saw a 25 mph speed limit sign. It was placed directly in line with a huge oak tree... about impossible to see coming up that road. When I got home I mailed them a check for 135 bucks. Officer had told us we could come back next month and go to court if we wanted to dispute the ticket. I did not feel like driving 5 hours to have a local judge tell me, it would be 135 bucks, plus court costs. The really bad deal about it was , I received a notice from my insurance company after I paid the ticket, saying they were increasing my insurance amount....due to a speeding ticket. I will never go back through there again, and never...is a long time...

thanks for sharing

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Now, don't you wish you had been nice as well.

14. idbefishing
    After practice, I went back into town to get some medicine because my nose was running non stop and I needed to be back in time for the pre-tournament meeting. I came up behind a pick up going below speed limit with a full load of craps that looked like they would fall out at any moment so I went around him at the first chance. A sheriff deputy just happened to be going the opposite direction pulled me over. I explained my dilemma and he let me go.

Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    He says it's ok if you can't find it.
    It's okay if you can't find a ticket he handed to you 10 minutes ago. But it's not okay if you can't find your insurance and registration that's been in your car for a year, along with the last 8 years of expired ones that are still in there, all mixed up in 600 receipts for who knows what, and a pile of vintage trash.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    It's okay if you can't find a ticket he handed to you 10 minutes ago. But it's not okay if you can't find your insurance and registration that's been in your car for a year, along with the last 8 years of expired ones that are still in there, all mixed up in 600 receipts for who knows what, and a pile of vintage trash.

Well let's just say I didn't properly file the ticket when he handed it to me

17. Member
    Good story

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
    There are still some honest people in the world........it's nice to hear about it.

All the news mentions is the bad stuff.
    It's funny you mention that, as we read this good story there are people on here posting about their negative experience with a Police officer. Pretty sad, but that's how things are these days unfortunately.

19. Member
    Update

Just spoke to the on duty Sargent

LA Hwy 6 is a state highway and the state recently replaced speed limit signs and did not notify anyone of the change. I was the first one to pass the officer running radar with the new 55 MPH sign in place. They again apologized and we both had a good laugh.

I think I will send a few large pizzas tomorrow for lunch

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    It's funny you mention that, as we read this good story there are people on here posting about their negative experience with a Police officer. Pretty sad, but that's how things are these days unfortunately.
    Most police have a tough job, and I totally respect that. Running speed traps, should not be one of those ...duties...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast