Winni, sunapee, ossippee, newfound ??

Hello folks.....
    Renting a house next summer in new Hampshire in mid July, coming up from CT. Ive been trying to figure out which lake to pick, I've narrowed it down to a few.... Winni, newfound, ossipee, and sunapee. I will be with quite a large group of family members, brothers sisters nieces nephews etc....I will be taking my 20 foot ranger in which my brother and I will be fishing hard for about 1/2 a week, then I plan on taking the young nieces and nephews out a couple times here and there. So I guess my questions are:

- Which of these lakes pose the greatest potential for numbers?
    - which of the lakes has the greatest potential for size?
    - best scenery?
    - least boat traffic (relative to size)

If you had to pick one or two of these locations, what would they be and why

Thank you for any and all input!

Worst boat traffic - Winni. Best fishing - Winni. Personally, I wouldn't even consider the other three. Newfound is very tough to fish mid-summer. Ossipee has too many no wake zones, the fishing is hit or miss, and there is a lot pleasure boaters. Sunapee is making a comeback but you will still catch more rock bass than anything else.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    Worst boat traffic - Winni. Best fishing - Winni. Personally, I wouldn't even consider the other three. Newfound is very tough to fish mid-summer. Ossipee has too many no wake zones, the fishing is hit or miss, and there is a lot pleasure boaters. Sunapee is making a comeback but you will still catch more rock bass than anything else.
    I completely agree with all of this.

If you're willing to consider another option, then I strongly recommend trying to find a place on Squam Lake if possible. That place has better fishing, far less boat traffic, and the best scenery out of all of the lakes in the lakes region. The water is crystal clear, and you're knocking on the door of the White Mountain National Forrest, so when you look north all you see are mountains. There's far less boat traffic because there's much less accessibility, and far fewer homes on the water compared to Winni. That alone might make finding a place to stay for that many people fairly difficult, but if you can, I would recommend it far more than Winni.

Yep, Squam clearly the best option. But get a chart...you would need one for Winni anyways.

If you do choose Winni, try to grab a rental in Moultonborough. Good fishing, easier to duck the wind, too.

6. Member
    I live not far from Winni and stay clear of that dam place. Newfound is very nice but can be tough to fish. Squam would be my choice also. Like stated get a chart or you will need a new lower unit.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

I would go to Maine. Better fishing and cheaper all around.
    Xltrod1@comcast.net

8. Member
    Awesome thanks for the input guys. Good to know about squam, I will certainly look rentals there

Quote Originally Posted by xltrod View Post
    I would go to Maine. Better fishing and cheaper all around.
    Good point.....but they can also run and hit a whole bunch of attractions in that area. With a bunch of kids Storyland, Fun Spot, Whales Tail water park, etc. good for them while the guys fish...

10. Member
    If you like cabins the Gilcrest in Thornton is nice right off exit 29 on 93 , less than 20 minutes to squam, also Newfound is in the area. Clarks trading post is 20 minutes down Rte 3 for the family Whales Tale 25 minutes . .. if you like rustic the Shamrock is down a little further on Rte 3 they have a bigger cabin that's short money nothing fancy but clean .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

11. Member
    Thank you Jim r and av....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    That's a really cool place. My uncle stayed up there several years ago and we went up to visit, I really enjoyed the time up there. Plus there's a nice, VERY SMALL cove that a lot of the cabins are settled into that makes for some excellent swimming, without needing to worry about boat traffic flying by.