22" Low Profile Truck Tires on new GMC Truck

I just purchased a new 2018 GMC 1500 Denali truck to replace my 2004 Suburban. I really like the new truck but am wondering if the factory low profile 22" tires and wheels will be satisfactory for towing my bass boat. I estimate the weight of the trailer and boat fully loaded to be approximately 4800 pounds. Anyone have any experience towing with 22" truck tires? I have heard that they work fine as long as you don't hit large pot holes at excessive speed and if you do you can damage the wheel or suffer a blow out. My tires are Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain P185/45R22.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I have a 2015 Rally 2 with 22" wheels no issues at all.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

3. Banned
    We have two vehicles with low profile, high performance tires. Hit a chuckhole and they are toast. The wear/lifespan is terrible. I cannot keep air in them. The tires feel great when new, but when their time is up they will look fine one day and show steel belts the next day.

We bought a new 2018 car, and the model we ordered came with plain old tall 16 inch rubber. I expect twice the tire mileage of the 40 and 45 series tires on my other two cars.

My F250 diesel has 75 series 16 inch tires, and we love those Michelin LTX A/Ts. They have given great service. You can keep your 22 inch 45 series tires.

4. Member
    I have p245/50R20 Michelin latitude on my dodge nitro and they are a great tire. Unfortunately going to a 22” dropped the load rating so I wasn’t comfortable dropping by a couple hundred pounds. P185 seem really skinny though, perphaps they were P285. I think you should be fine. It will be a small sacrifice in comfort to look a lot cooler

5. Member
    My bad on the tire size Bob. They are P285/45R22. Thanks for the replies guys and if anyone has experience good or bad with tires this size please chime in and let us know!