Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did Clunn only fish one day on the Mississippi?

Looked at the results and Clunn ended up last but it only listed fish for day one? Anyone know if that’s accurate? If so, what happened?

2. Banned
    I think he is all washed up.

Might have missed the lock and was late?
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

4. Member
    He zeroed on day two. I talked to his marshal, he tried to fish wing dams in main river on that heavy current and never even caught a fish.

5. Member
    Is he taking a normal "spot" or does fishing on the Legends exemption not count toward the other guy's spots?

6. Banned
    Don’t forget he just won an elite series event a year or two ago. Age I’m sure is taking a toll on him, but he’s far from washed up.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Is he taking a normal "spot" or does fishing on the Legends exemption not count toward the other guy's spots?
    They added a third legends exemption this year, I believe he is using one. IMO there should be 2 max, maybe just one, and most would be plenty happy if they just did away with it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    They added a third legends exemption this year, I believe he is using one. IMO there should be 2 max, maybe just one, and most would be plenty happy if they just did away with it completely.
    So you are saying all the other Elite guys that stuck around at weigh in even though they were out of t h.ge hunt to watch Clunn win and have a chance to congratulate him a couple of years ago would rather see him out of the Elites altogether?.Even though the added lege nbnd's exemptions are not taking a spot from anyone they still want him gone?

9. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    He zeroed on day two. I talked to his marshal, he tried to fish wing dams in main river on that heavy current and never even caught a fish.
    Would be interesting to hear his thought on why he did that when there are so much frogging water to fish

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Don’t forget he just won an elite series event a year or two ago. Age I’m sure is taking a toll on him, but he’s far from washed up.
    This! ^^

Congrats to Ish, but for argument sake, his last win was a 1st place finish in the 2012 Elite Series Power-Pole Slam on Lake Okeechobee.

The "washed up" Rick Clunn won the 2016 Bassmaster Elite at St. Johns River and had a 2nd place finish in the 2013 Elite Series Rigid Industries Falcon Slam on Falcon Lake. More recent then Ish's record. Not knocking him, (Ish) he's 10 times the fisherman I am, but according to the logic of some here, maybe we should have asked..." is Ish washed up?" No, of course not.

There are are plenty of guys in the Elites who haven't won anything in quite a while, or even at all, so IMHO, as long Clunn wants to fish (and can) and he still has sponsors that support him, it's his business. Any way's, he's got more knowledge of fishing and skill in his pinky than most of us have in our entire body!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    This! ^^

Congrats to Ish, but for argument sake, his last win was a 1st place finish in the 2012 Elite Series Power-Pole Slam on Lake Okeechobee.

The "washed up" Rick Clunn won the 2016 Bassmaster Elite at St. Johns River and had a 2nd place finish in the 2013 Elite Series Rigid Industries Falcon Slam on Falcon Lake. More recent then Ish's record. Not knocking him, (Ish) he's 10 times the fisherman I am, but according to the logic of some here, maybe we should have asked..." is Ish washed up?" No, of course not.

There are are plenty of guys in the Elites who haven't won anything in quite a while, or even at all, so IMHO, as long Clunn wants to fish (and can) and he still has sponsors that support him, it's his business. Any way's, he's got more knowledge of fishing and skill in his pinky than most of us have in our entire body!

I agree and as Mark Perry pointed out, he is not taking someone else's spot.

We are all washed up if a blank is the deciding factor......lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    So you are saying all the other Elite guys that stuck around at weigh in even though they were out of t h.ge hunt to watch Clunn win and have a chance to congratulate him a couple of years ago would rather see him out of the Elites altogether?.Even though the added lege nbnd's exemptions are not taking a spot from anyone they still want him gone?
    Thanks, you answered my question that the Legend exemptions don't take a spot from the "regular" Elites.
    Fishing isn't like other sports, don't think you can ever be "washed up".

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Clunn still is a good angler but he's just not putting results on the board that show it. If people remember just a few years ago BASS had a debate on who was the greatest BASS angler and it came down to Clunn and KVD. That alone goes to show he is one of the greatest to ever compete. However one can not turn a blind eye on the fact he has not made the Classic for several years and he is constantly at the bottom of points. He did win an Elite event in 2016 and that reminds me of the song lyric " I may not be as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was". When I was growing up Clunn was the angler that I followed in Bassmaster magazine. There was no internet, live or facebook, just a magazine and Bob Cobb on TNN. He was a very dominant figure but yet his personality was somewhat of a recluse. In his day he was "the man". For whatever reason he no longer has the results like he once did on a regular basis. I don't like to point fingers but I think age and knowledge of how to use new technology is what keeps him from having results like he once did. I am a Rick Clunn fan and if he wants to continue on the Elite series then so be it. Myself I would like to see him "semi retire" and fish a few select opens and do more public appearances. The problem with that is he still has the desire to compete and he never did like to be in the public eye.

15. Banned
    Getting a blank is common here so i am washed up for sure!!!!!!

16. Member
    I think it's just amazing that Clunn can still fish and drive and put up with those rigors of tournament fishing. Dude is pretty old, I'm hoping to just be vertical at his age :)

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    I think it's just amazing that Clunn can still fish and drive and put up with those rigors of tournament fishing. Dude is pretty old, I'm hoping to just be vertical at his age :)
    +1...and he or somebody is putting up his 40k in entries. So his money is going in the pot. All you had to see was the reaction of the elite guys when he won in florida. The dude has major respect out there...as he should.

Who is using the legend exemptions and how do they work?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Who is using the legend exemptions and how do they work?
    I think Rick Clunn and David Fritts are using them this year. It's a combination of AOYs and Classic wins. Roland Martin was offered, but turned down.

Is Paul Elias on a Legend exemption?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast