Rust stains on Fortrex shaft seal

I pulled the prop to look for fishing line like I do every 1-2 months and noticed a little rust around the shaft seal. Is this normal? I’ve never noticed on any before. I also noticed the bolts that hold the foot together were quite loose as in they were very hard to turn by hand but I could turn them with my fingers. I don’t want to pull the thing apart and risk losing warranty on a 10 month old unit but dang I don’t want to drive the 4 hour round trip and the wait to the nearest ASC either.

This is my first 36v motor as well and it has significant vibration at 50-60% that smooths out at higher settings. Can’t help but wonder if it’s all not related.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Not a problem. It is a common thing because there is a spring that pinches the rubber part of the seal that squeezes it around the shaft. The spring is made of steel.

3. Member
    Thanks Brad. Is there a torque spec for these loose lower housing bolts?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I pulled the prop to look for fishing line like I do every 1-2 months and noticed a little rust around the shaft seal. Is this normal? I’ve never noticed on any before. I also noticed the bolts that hold the foot together were quite loose as in they were very hard to turn by hand but I could turn them with my fingers. I don’t want to pull the thing apart and risk losing warranty on a 10 month old unit but dang I don’t want to drive the 4 hour round trip and the wait to the nearest ASC either.

Don't understand the bold statement - can't turn them by hand but can with the fingers??? If they are loose, then one needs to come out to check for water intrusion. If no water indicated inside, then replace bolt and tighten both. Make sure cap is properly aligned. On a 36V there is a knotch that holds the cap in place.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    I mean they weren’t easy to turn without a tool but were so loose they COULD be turned with no tool. Will pull one and look for water. Is there a torque target for tightening or simply tighten? I didn’t want to put too much on such a small diameter long bolt.

6. Member
    There is a torque spec of 40 - 50 inch pounds
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    There is a torque spec of 40 - 50 inch pounds
    thanks! They were definitely way off that!