Mercury115ELPT Pro XS FourStroke - Command Thrust or not Command Thrust

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=#post9455429

""Re powering my 08' Triton 18 Explorer. I Currently have a 05 Merc 115 Hp ELPTO. (Model 1-115412D) with a Merc Laser II, 48-15992 22P prop. I've had good luck with the engine and the performance has been good enough. Problem is, it's getting a little old (13 years...13! Where'd they go!) and parts are getting a bit harder to find and that's only going to get worse. So I'm thinking ahead and looking at a 4 Stroke.

I contacted Mercury and they said... "The newest model of the 115hp series of engines that will be most comparable to your current model is a 115hp ELPT (model 1115F131D). We also offer the 115hp ELPT PRO XS (model 1117F131D). This model offers a higher rpm range and is typically more desirable in the bass boat and walleye boat market."

Sounds to me like the second model, the "115hp ELPT PRO XS (model 1117F131D)" with the higher rpm range is the one to go for. Just have to figure the shaft length I need... but, in an effort to confuse the he** out of me, there's apparently two models? One being the Command Thrust?

To maintain "close" to the performance I've enjoyed, how do I know which is the right one, and make sure that the dealer I'll be getting it from, who doesn't really deal all that much with Bass Boats, gets me the right one?

Side note: The Triton 18 has a hull weight of 1202. Add in me and a tackle shops worth of baits and equipment and it's quite a bit heavier. Top speed currently is 47 mph. When it's empty, with just me and a half tank of gas its 51.5 mph.

Help with specifics would be appreciated! Thanks.""
    Last edited by OBT; 06-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Bump
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    No need to go with the Command Thrust as you will not see a benefit. Command Thrust is intended for heavier boats and the 115 CT actually uses a 150 lower unit. Stick with the regular 115 Pro XS as Command Thrust would be overkill for a light
    rig such as yours.

4. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ProXS for your fishing application and don't look back.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor