Power Pole Herk and Jerk

I'm glad all you guys are happy with your power poles but mine have been garbage from day one, it's always something with these things. I'm dealing now with several problems now but I will focus on the new problem. In the past 2 years I have had my pole speed set for 10% which is apparently another problem because the poles don't always respond set for that slow so now I run them at 35% now they are very herky Jerky when going down into the water if you know what I mean by that. The reason I was running them at 10% before is being I wanted them to be very quiet but with these things nothing can be right. Any ideas how to make this junk go down smooth. I guess it's a good thing they have good customer service because they sell junk. I should have gotten Talons.

2. Member
    I don't be have poles so I don't know too much about them. But being that they are hydraulic, sounds like maybe you have air in the lines? Possibly your fix could be as simple as bleeding the lines.?

Like said above try bleeding the lines to make sure no air is in them. Also a buddy of mine had a similar problem and it was his remotes. They needed to be replaced.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Instead of talking so negative about them perhaps you should contact PowerPole customer service, I'm quite certain they will take care of whatever the issue is. Their customer service is quite simply the best there is, they take care of "warranty" issues long after the warranty has run out, way too many threads on this board stating that. Hell, if you are that upset with them just sell them and get Talons, they will sell quick enough here if you price them right.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    Instead of talking so negative about them perhaps you should contact PowerPole customer service, I'm quite certain they will take care of whatever the issue is. Their customer service is quite simply the best there is, they take care of "warranty" issues long after the warranty has run out, way too many threads on this board stating that. Hell, if you are that upset with them just sell them and get Talons, they will sell quick enough here if you price them right.
    That is part of the problem I have been talking to them for 2 years and as far as selling them to get Tallons I would loose too much money on my $5,000.00 investment and I have 4 holes drilled into my boat to run the hoses. They are now sending me 2 new circuit boards but they don’t seem to confident that’s the problem. Being that they are the manufacture and deal with stuff all the time it should not be some guessing game.
    Last edited by Bernerbass99; 06-24-2018 at 02:19 PM.

"I should have gotten Talons".

Me too

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    That is part of the problem I have been talking to them for 2 years and as far as selling them to get Tallons I would loose too much money on my $5,000.00 investment and I have 4 holes drilled into my boat to run the hoses. They are now sending me 2 new circuit boards but they don’t seem to confident that’s the problem. Being that they are the manufacture and deal with stuff all the time it should not be some guessing game.
    $5000.00 dollar investment ? you paid way too much. Id be happy to help you figure out any issues you have. cant say as I have ever heard of the "Herk and Jerk". Very sorry you are unhappy with Powerpoles they have far and above the best customer satisfaction of any shallow water anchor out there. with as many as we sell ( and its alot) we hear of very very few issues, and any we do hear of are handled and solved by Power Pole very quickly. Id check your hardware for overtighting. As well as not enough slack in the lines. ( binding issue) should be smooth even on slowest speed. Did you have PowerPole run a diagnostic thru the app?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    $5000.00 dollar investment ? you paid way too much. Id be happy to help you figure out any issues you have. cant say as I have ever heard of the "Herk and Jerk". Very sorry you are unhappy with Powerpoles they have far and above the best customer satisfaction of any shallow water anchor out there. with as many as we sell ( and its alot) we hear of very very few issues, and any we do hear of are handled and solved by Power Pole very quickly. Id check your hardware for overtighting. As well as not enough slack in the lines. ( binding issue) should be smooth even on slowest speed. Did you have PowerPole run a diagnostic thru the app?
    I was out trying to figure out what is causing the shaking in the poles this afternoon after making this post today. This afternoon it was not doing the herky jerk what I mean by that is when I first hit the button they would almost start off really fast then slow down just a bit causing them to bounce for a second but then stop shaking as they go down. When I went out this afternoon to try to figure it out the poles were working fine. This is a common problem I will fix something then there will be some other problem. My biggest problem was I was running them at 10% speed and the pole would only go down 1/4 of the way then stop and I would have to hit the button 2-3 more times to go down. It seems like to me that they have to be set to at least 35% speed to get them to respond correctly, you would think power pole would tell people this.But then again every time I think I have fixed the problem it still happens or its some other problem. Come on man I have been talking to Power Pole for 2 years of course I have tried using the phone app, I have done it all. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I have been screwing around with these things for 2 years and it is very frustrating. I spend a lot of money on fishing and I drive 2 hours one way each weekend to go fishing and to have to screw around with these power poles every time pisses me off. Thank you for trying to help me.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Bernerbass99,

Please give me a call at 813-689-9932 ext 2015 or send me an email to branden@powerpole.com so I can look into this issue for you. I would like to help you resolve the issues you are having with your anchors.

Drive on up to K&K Kustoms for some hands-on troubleshooting.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    I'm sure power pole has said this but I'm going to give it a shot, have you adjusted the sensitivity on them? And if you think power poles are bad wait until something on a talon goes bad. Power poles are a very simple design, talons have too many electrical components in my opinion. I run my poles between 80 and 100% and love them. Hopefully they can get you straightened out

12. Member
    I have experienced the "herky jerky" from time to time. I have done the air bleed procedure and adjusted the speed and it only happens occasionally now. And after a long trny w/e in rough water, I re-tighten everything and do the air bleed cycle a couple of times and seems to make a difference. As well, I have found that if you use continuous button push instead of the double tap it helps subdue the herky jerk. Not sure why you are so caught up with wanting them super quiet. I roll up on bed fish and double tap to hold position and the fish never even flinch, even when my 10ftr's enter the water with more noise than normal. To say that the product is garbage well I guess you need to try something else. You seem to be in the minority here. My poles take major abuse during a trny and I have had some issues with them. PP has responded quickly and superbly to help me make the repairs needed so that they are 100% again. Good investment in my book.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    I have experienced the "herky jerky" from time to time. I have done the air bleed procedure and adjusted the speed and it only happens occasionally now. And after a long trny w/e in rough water, I re-tighten everything and do the air bleed cycle a couple of times and seems to make a difference. As well, I have found that if you use continuous button push instead of the double tap it helps subdue the herky jerk. Not sure why you are so caught up with wanting them super quiet. I roll up on bed fish and double tap to hold position and the fish never even flinch, even when my 10ftr's enter the water with more noise than normal. To say that the product is garbage well I guess you need to try something else. You seem to be in the minority here. My poles take major abuse during a trny and I have had some issues with them. PP has responded quickly and superbly to help me make the repairs needed so that they are 100% again. Good investment in my book.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jt c View Post
    I'm sure power pole has said this but I'm going to give it a shot, have you adjusted the sensitivity on them? And if you think power poles are bad wait until something on a talon goes bad. Power poles are a very simple design, talons have too many electrical components in my opinion. I run my poles between 80 and 100% and love them. Hopefully they can get you straightened out
    sensitivity would have nothing to do with his issue. if he gets playing with anything else he will have more issues. Brandon will get him straightened out. I have seen very few issues and when an issue arises Power Pole has most customers straightened out and enjoying the product most times in a week or less. This would not have gone on for 2 years if you were in contact with Power Pole and they were aware of the issues that I will assure you.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    sensitivity would have nothing to do with his issue. if he gets playing with anything else he will have more issues. Brandon will get him straightened out. I have seen very few issues and when an issue arises Power Pole has most customers straightened out and enjoying the product most times in a week or less. This would not have gone on for 2 years if you were in contact with Power Pole and they were aware of the issues that I will assure you.
    Sorry dude your wrong, I have been talking to them for 2 years the guy I spoke to this year is better than the guy I spoke to last year. The guy I spoke to this year had no idea what else to do so he sent me 2 new circuit boards anyway. I installed the 2 new circuit boards today and they seemed to work good but I kept using them because I knew it was too good to be true. Sure enough after about 30 min of on and off testing the port pole started to acting up. I was able to fix the problem by adjusting the sensitivity on the down, but I had to set it to 10 which is the highest setting and 8 was not enough. I had no trouble with the poles coming up. All my bolts are flush with the nuts. Why would the port side require to be set all the way up to 10 ? Something must be wrong.
    Last edited by Bernerbass99; 07-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Sensitivity controls the overrun or underun when the poles are either fully deployed or fully retracted.. as "the dude" stated I stick with opinion that sensitivity has nothing to do with you current issue. I know if my poles were having such major issues as you stated, that I would be in contact with them on a daily basis not a yearly one. I just had a customer that was having an issue with 1 of the 2 new poles and after his second pump exchange Power Pole sent him a whole new pole. Problem solved and this was only after his third time with them on the phone, and about 3 weeks of talking with them trying to fix his issue. If you were going back and forth with them and explaining how unhappy you were and nothing is working they would have had you fixed by now, there is obviously a communication problem between you and them. If you would like to give me a call maybe we can get on a conference call and get this sorted out. Even though I was not your selling dealer I would be happy to help you out. If you did a search here on the board of unhappy people with Power Poles customer service I believe you will find your the only thread.

17. Member
    Update, I did not give up on these poles. The bottom bolt I noticed was binding when you turn the bolt without a wrench on the nut so the bolt just spins but would bind. I pulled the bolt it was bent pretty bad I could not even hit it out had to keep turning it to get it out. I'm not sure how that happened but then again I was fishing up in Plattsburgh on Champlain last year in some rough water.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    Update, I did not give up on these poles. The bottom bolt I noticed was binding when you turn the bolt without a wrench on the nut so the bolt just spins but would bind. I pulled the bolt it was bent pretty bad I could not even hit it out had to keep turning it to get it out. I'm not sure how that happened but then again I was fishing up in Plattsburgh on Champlain last year in some rough water.
    Do let us know! as the "garbage from day 1" is a pretty strong statement, and one I have never heard before when someone describes Power Poles.