Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new boat or repower

I have a 92 ranger 361v thats in great shape and i love everything about it. The only thing is my motor is starting to have a few issues and i'm thinking about repowering with a 150 Mercury pro xs 4 stroke and be done. Also thought about saleing and getting a new boat. what do y'all think?

2. Member
    I guess that’s up to you. If I were going to keep it 10+ years I’d repower, but if you plan on selling in a few it won’t be worth it. As of now, if my Mercury takes a shit I’ll repower

3. Member
    If you like the boat and intend to keep it,then repower. I repowered my 2000 Ranger 518 in 2011 with a new Opti,still flawless. It was the right move for me.

4. Member
    Repower if you like the boat. I asked a similar question a while back

5. Banned
    If you got cash for the report jump if your going to the bank buy a new rig. If your going to make a payment might as well go all new.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkt1 View Post
    Repower if you like the boat.
    This! I repowered mine and glad I did. Just can't see giving the prices for a new one. Besides, I'd be sick at the first scratch.

7. Member
    Had the same issue 3 years ago, decided to get new boat- if I had to do it over I would repower!

Regardless of the age of the boat, if you like it, it fits your needs, and you plan to keep it for 4-5 more years, Repower.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I would and will repower when the time comes. Love my boat.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ891 View Post
    I would and will repower when the time comes. Love my boat.
    Im repowering next year, I like not having a boat payment

11. Member
    If the boat is in good shape and you like it - Repower.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

12. Member
    Thanks for your imput

13. Member
    I plan to repower when my old Merc gives out but she's still running fine for now. Looking at the new 4 stroke Merc 200hp Pro XS. Will prolly upgrade to an Ultrex in the not-too-distant future.
    1998 Ranger R91 - 1998 Mercury EFI - (2)8ft Blades
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2 - Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 1 - Structure Scan
    MG Pro Tour 109 36v - Dual Pro 3 bank with switch

14. Member
    I have a 2011, and if / when my motor goes, moving to Merc 4 Stroke. Love my rig as well.

15. Member
    Re-power with a new boat!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

16. Member
    To me--being familiar with my old boat that is probably better quality than the new ones and that is still in good shape is begging for repowering and me being completely satisfied without boat payments.
    Rocket

17. Banned
    Just a thought, but maybe split the difference. I have a 98 skeeter zx 202. Three years ago my motor blew. It was a 97 Yamaha carb motor. I called a company called hydro-tech in Missouri. They sold me a 2003 Yamaha hpdi that they completely rebuilt. It came with a 1 year warranty, and thag motor to this day has not even so much as sputtered.

The cost for the motor installed was $6,000. I gave them my old paper weight motor in exchange for swapping out motors and doing all the rigging. I just took a weekend and drove out there. Meet them on Monday morning. Took them about 4 hours to change it out and off I went. Couldn’t been happier with their service.

Anyways $6,000 with a warranty seemed more justifiable to me on 20 year old boat then $15,000. Just wanted to throw that option out there to you.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe split the difference. I have a 98 skeeter zx 202. Three years ago my motor blew. It was a 97 Yamaha carb motor. I called a company called hydro-tech in Missouri. They sold me a 2003 Yamaha hpdi that they completely rebuilt. It came with a 1 year warranty, and thag motor to this day has not even so much as sputtered.

The cost for the motor installed was $6,000. I gave them my old paper weight motor in exchange for swapping out motors and doing all the rigging. I just took a weekend and drove out there. Meet them on Monday morning. Took them about 4 hours to change it out and off I went. Couldn’t been happier with their service.

Anyways $6,000 with a warranty seemed more justifiable to me on 20 year old boat then $15,000. Just wanted to throw that option out there to you.
    Catch5 Do they only handle Yamaha? This migh be a plan for my old Mercury if they handle them.
    1998 Ranger R91 - 1998 Mercury EFI - (2)8ft Blades
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2 - Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 1 - Structure Scan
    MG Pro Tour 109 36v - Dual Pro 3 bank with switch

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTxBassMan View Post
    Catch5 Do they only handle Yamaha? This migh be a plan for my old Mercury if they handle them.
    I’m not sure man. They might. Be sweet if they had a mid 2000’s optimax they just re done. You could do a Yamaha, but I’m not sure what changing the cabling out would cost.

There are other places too that also deal with mercury. If I run across a place I’ll let ya know

If you like the boat that much and really don’t want a new hull, then hang on to it. Odds are you won’t get anywhere near what you would want for it. Not that the boat is not solid but its going to be hard to get much out of a ‘92. I saw the post about a rebuilt engine and I think I’d just go all new 4stroke as you originally mentioned.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast