Reviving a used Motorguide

All, I bought a used trolling motor that is almost the same dimensions as my Brute 67 767 hoping that if I cant get it to run, then I can swap parts and rebuild the Brute (which needs steering cable, down tubes and bearings). New TM says Motorguide Tracker 65V Pro Series on the head, but I can find no model or serial number label only what is embossed into the plastic under the lower head cover FK61131W. The foot control has a two position switch, the label is partially torn off, says 24 in one position and what looks like 36 in the other. The power cord has three wires: Red White and Black. Seller said it was 36volt. I'm assuming the Black is negative, the Red is 36v and the White is 24v.

First, is there an easy way to bench test this TM?

If it works, I'd like to replace my worn out Brute which is 12/24v 3 wire setup (black and two hots) in my boat. Could I only connect the new TM white wire to 24v, and leave the 36v Red wire unattached, or must I have both the 24v and 36v leads connected to two/three batteries in series in order to get this motor to function?

Any/all help greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    First, are both trolling motors variable speed.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    All the parts you spoke of are still readily available.
    I will have to check in the old manuals I have at the shop and see if I can find anything on this puppy. Modern stuff does not go back that for. This might have been on the Santa Maria.

4. Member

Reviving ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    First, are both trolling motors variable speed.
    Yes both are variable speed

5. Member
    You can probably use both to make one. The control boards in the motors are no longer available, so if you have control board problems in both motors (I suspect you don't in your motor) you can't use both to make one.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonytheMagnificent View Post
    Yes both are variable speed
    Ok, thanks Mr Jones. I'll give it a try.

Also figured out that my present hookup uses #10 wire and not #6, so it'll be a while before I return here. And yes, it leads to frequent CB popping.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonytheMagnificent View Post
    Ok, thanks Mr Jones. I'll give it a try.

Also figured out that my present hookup uses #10 wire and not #6, so it'll be a while before I return here. And yes, it leads to frequent CB popping.
    Wire size won't lead to CB popping.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Wire size won't lead to CB popping.
    Could you expand on this? It is counter intuitive.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Sure. A circuit breaker monitors current in a wire. Current is Amps. The smaller the wire the more resistance it has.
    The more resistance in a circuit the less current. One form of Ohms Law is I=E/R. That means current (I) equals voltage (E)divided by resistance (R). For instance, 12 volts, 1 ohm=12 amps. If you double the resistance (R) to 2 ohms and have 12 volts, your current drops to 6 Amps. If you quadruple the resistance to 4 Ohms, your current drops to 3 amps.
    Smaller wire won't make a properly designed circuit's CB pop unless it melts and shorts together.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sure. A circuit breaker monitors current in a wire. Current is Amps. The smaller the wire the more resistance it has.
    The more resistance in a circuit the less current. One form of Ohms Law is I=E/R. That means current (I) equals voltage (E)divided by resistance (R). For instance, 12 volts, 1 ohm=12 amps. If you double the resistance (R) to 2 ohms and have 12 volts, your current drops to 6 Amps. If you quadruple the resistance to 4 Ohms, your current drops to 3 amps.
    Smaller wire won't make a properly designed circuit's CB pop unless it melts and shorts together.
    Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I was thinking of heat build up on the wire from high current flow and this heats affect on the circuit breaker. The way you explain it, it seems self limiting. Very thought provoking.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching