Swing Tongue Bolt Warning

I cant get the picture uploaded but you will get the message. Last night as I was getting the boat ready for today and began to swing the tongue back in place, it wasn't very smooth. I took a close look and the thread end of the bolt had sheared off. The nut and about another 1/4 inch above that was gone. Somehow, the tongue stayed in place until I got her in the garage last Sunday. Never heard of this one before, could have been a disaster. Quick fix until I get a new bolt was to put a spare removable pin I keep in case someone chooses to steal mine. Gonna put a spare bolt in the box too. Looks like the bolt is a 5/8 and about 7 inches long with a nylon insert nut, in case you want to grab one. Only need threads on the last 1.5 inches I am guessing.

Stay safe and kind.

Crock

2. mikesxpress
    You don't mention the boat/trailer model or year?
    The swing aways can be problematic depending on road conditions you normally travel and frequent use. A loose condition on the pivot bolt or bolt w/lock, and lack of lubrication causes most of the problems inclusive of wearing out the mounting holes on the tounge & trailer. I have lots of room in the barn and don't need to swing it so I have two grade 8 bolts lubed up and dogged down. Even with that I find I have to tighten them occasionally.

3. Member
    2010 520. Seemed to be lubricated enuff and Check all my boats a couple times per year. I may have taken that one for granted though. Glad she made it home. I will be more observant for sure.

4. Member
    Delete post. Thought you were talking about the removable bolt in the swing-away.

5. Member
    Get one of these. http://www.trimaxlocks.com/receiver-...pins/th45.html
    Your original grade 8 bolt most likely broke at the upper thread, happened to quite a few folks. The trimax is what you need.