Thread: Batwing mower

Batwing mower

Good morning bbc - got a farm that I’m mowing hay on— anyway has some fence rows with trees — cannot get under them with Bush hog /tractor— so thinking about a batwing — looking at woods, rhino, land pride etc— any brand reccs? Titan s made just down the road in TN but think their fairly new brand

Bush Hog and Rhino are the toughest IMO. But a 15' batwing will only reach about 4-5' under those trees, depends on the overhanging tree limbs. If the brush/grass isn't that heavy/thick/woody, then just use your rotary mower lifted up a little. It'll reach a lot further. If there's a lot if saplings and trash, then don't use it. Takes a big tractor to pull a heavy duty batwing. Plus, not all brush hogs are the same, some are heavy duty with bigger gear boxes. I bought a new Heavy duty 15' Bush Hog brand hog a couple years ago for $15,000. They're probably a little more now.

3. Banned
    Any of the brands mentioned will do the job. The Land Pride is perhaps not as expensive or heavy duty. But do you really need such a big mower? Are you using that large of a tractor?

Many hay guys use disc mowers to get close to fence rows. They can cut as fast as the conditions allow--and as fast as the tractor can run.

4. Member
    We had a 20’ rhino that was a tough cutter, but it takes a pretty good tractor to pull it through the rough stuff.

go with a 9' or biggest you can, disk mower and get as deep under the trees as you can, bat-wing are expensive to keep up and and repair, i've used both you'll be money and time ahead with the disk mower

and like Bamaman mentioned you can cover some real estate, long as you can stay on/in tractor
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

6. Member
    Bush hogs are tough. Had my 15' bush hog for close to 15 years. But need a decent sized tractor to pull one of these. I use a 70 horse 4wd.

I would find a smaller, used lawn tractor mower to mow under the trees. Once you get it cleared once, it will be easy from then on, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a batwing.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    Also depends on how much you are cutting. I have 42 acres to cut and wouldn't trade my bat-wing for anything.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    a new holland 10 foot discbine will serve you well but have to have min of a 85 to 90 hp tractor

How are you going to bale any cuttings under the tree? Your tedder couldn't get to the hay even if you cut it. Bale what you have and then cut the trees back for future crops.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

11. Member
    Mow hay with jd moco- anyway have a 75 hp just sitting - figure I'd use it for batwing - 15 ft max is think all I can pull with it and probably need 3-4 ft max over hang

12. Member
    And it would be epic job to cut branches as its 120 acres with about 4 fenced tracts that prior farmer allowed to grow for 50 years- I like them actually- otherwise I'd bull doze them. Yeah don't think I could rake well under the trees

I mow a lot, on my second Rhino batwing, wouldn't own another brand.

14. Banned
    All of the above mentioned mower are good. But the hardest environment for mowers is in Central and South Florida where they cut all year long and the salt air and sand is so corrosive. The underside of rotary cutters down there looks like a mirror.

The only mowers that held up well were the Alamo brand cutters. No other was in their class.

I have been out of the T&E industry since retiring 10 years ago--after 36 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Mow hay with jd moco- anyway have a 75 hp just sitting - figure I'd use it for batwing - 15 ft max is think all I can pull with it and probably need 3-4 ft max over hang
    well the disregard my comment above you already got somethin to put hay on the ground, my uncle has a 6310 and running a 18' it's all that tractor wants and i think it's 95-100 hp, it does ok, but i have run it a time or two where i really had watch my speed
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus