Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I know this is an old thread but I’m contemplating the same thing. I have two Garmin 7610xsv’s and I will be purchasing a boat with the new V8 Verado. It only comes with analog gauges and I’m weighing options. I don’t like the SmartCraft gauges so I’m torn between a dedicated VesselView unit or getting Mercury Link and trying to use my Garmin MFDs, or really going crazy and getting a dedicated Simrad unit and Mercury Link to add to the two Garmin MFDs.

In any event, did you ever get this figured out?
    Last edited by rpr; 02-27-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

3. Member
    Depending on what you use the gauges for you could consider the Vessel View Mobile. I don't keep mine running all the time on my phone but I do check it periodically to scan for codes and check engine hours for scheduled maintenance. It will show oil pressure, voltage, water temp, GPH fuel usage, and fuel remaining if you add your gas purchases in to keep it up to date.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Why not get the Level 1 Mercmonitor on the dash???

5. Banned
    It's be nice if they made the bluetooth in our units able to connect to Vessel View Mobile.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Why not get the Level 1 Mercmonitor on the dash???
    I may do that, but I’m just not a fan of the displays on the SmartCraft and MercMonitor gauges. Reminds me of cheap alarm clocks from the 1980s...you can’t even read them in sunlight. At the cost they demand, they really need to update these with improved displays..

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I understand......when i had lowrance i was thinking about the Vessel View but decided not to cause i was thinking about changing brands of electronics and wasnt sure it would work on something else....bought it, installed and connected it to my NMEA network and it still displays on the units....i had a few t-stat alarms show up on my Merc Monitor that never showed up on my Lowrance unit......with that said, i'm glad i dont have the VV and i look at the dash instead of the unit.....

Well I have a new boat and going through this again. I cannot get my Garmin's to read anything from my Level 1 Smart Craft.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Make sure you have the setting on the MM to communicate via NMEA 2000. Its in the manual. If you do not have a manual, i can check to night when i get home and tell you what page or where the setting is at. Thats the first step......Lowrance would display and that's it, Garmin will but you have several more things to setup on the unit.

10. Member
    VW Link works very well with my 8410xsv. I do have Lowrance and Simrad as well on the NMEA2000-network and mainly use my Simrad (GO xse) for enginedata, but so far I have not seen much difference towards the 8410. I get the Merc-icon on the 8410 and seem to have all sources available.

I have the VV Mobile as well, but while running I much prefer to have enginedata on my MFD.

Make sure you have the setting on the MM to communicate via NMEA 2000. Its in the manual. If you do not have a manual, i can check to night when i get home and tell you what page or where the setting is at. Thats the first step......Lowrance would display and that's it, Garmin will but you have several more things to setup on the unit.
    Ok I am going to be working on this today. I need to make sure I have 12 V coming out of the NMEA Cord. What is the best way to check this? Also do you have anything else on the NMEA Network, or is this a stand alone??

Everything is working --Thanks all!!

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So what was it??? Setting???

So what was it??? Setting???
    Yes sir!!

16. Member
    How do you tell whether you have an sc1000 or a sc100 and what does on the mercmoitor the v4 . 602 mean ..besides money..
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by h2chuck View Post
    How do you tell whether you have an sc1000 or a sc100 and what does on the mercmoitor the v4 . 602 mean ..besides money..
    SC1000 would be the tach and speedo gauges. SC100 is going to be Systemlink accessory gauges. The SC100 are not stand alone gauges. They need a Mercmonitor or SC1000 tach/speedo to drive their signal.

The v4.602 is simply the software version. IIRC, it is on the BASIC (Level 0) Mercmonitor. It has no NMEA capability and you cannot add it either.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    I have a boat that came with the Mercury Smartcraft gauges, they were round gauges, one was a speedo and one was a tach. Both of the gauges had plugs that connected to a Jbox that was mounted under the helm. The Jbox is simply a junction box. One of the leads came from the engine. To hook things up, I had to purchase a Smartcraft Gateway. One side of the gateway plugged into the Jbox just like one of the Smartcraft gauges. The other side of the Gateway connected to the NEMA2000 network. This network plugged into the Chartplotter.

19. Member
    Well I’m also considering doing this again. My old eyes just can’t read the dismal SmartCraft gauge displays very well. Can one of you guys post a pic of what the engine data display looks like on these newer Garmin MFDs? The last pics I saw were from a couple years ago. Has Garmin improved the interface with their frequent software updates?

20. Member
    I have the Garmin 8612 and 8610 what do i need to put engine info into the plotters ? My eyes aint gonna see the small stuff either and what about engine alarms ? My Merc monitor is v4.602 Ok I read further down and saw the info on the V4.602 so it looks like i will have to get a better MM to get info into my Garmins..

Thanks
    Last edited by h2chuck; 12-18-2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clearify
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast