Looking at used boat with Merc Optimax are they ok?

I never owned an optimax.
    I found a used aluminum boat I like with 75hp Mercury optimax.

I owned Evinrude etec and 2 -stroke carb Mariners & Evinrudes.

Someone said you have to warm them up or they blow up.
    Another guy said you have to use a special oil.
    Most people say they blow up.

I test drove the boat and hopefully closing the deal Monday after work.
    Just do not know much about them.
    Is there something I need to know that makes the different from a regular engine?

I was in the same place when I bought my boat. My family had always had Johnson/Evinrude and Dad had been running a Yamaha for about 4 years with no problems. The only thing I could think about was the nickname "Opti-pop" when I found a boat that I really wanted but had an Optimax 225 on it. Mine is a 2004 and from what I was told, it was earlier than that when they had the nickname. I went ahead with the purchase and have had no complaints about it in the 7 years I have had it. It had about 300 hours on it when I got it and it now has over 500 hours. I would not hesitate to own another one as long as I knew the hours and how it had been taken care of. I believe most engines should be warmed up before just hammering on them. There is a thing called "cold seize" that I have learned a little about and therefore I am always careful to let my engine warm up before running it hard. Usually all it takes is a few minutes of idling. I leave it running while I park my truck and idle out from wherever I launch and it's ready to go. As far as "special oil", mine is direct injection so I use DFI oil.

I know there is quite a difference in a 225 and a 75 but hopefully some of my experience will help you with your decision. If it ran good and the deal is a good one for you, I wouldn't let the Optimax be a deal breaker.

3. Member
    Thanks, I was a little scared and walked away as people told me they blow up.

Bought a used or the dealer calls it a demo 2018 178 Ranger with 75 hp Evinrude etec.
    I am financing it for 6yrs so during that period the motor will have some warranty.
    Feel more comfortable with 7yrs 6 months warranty on the motor.
    Saved alittle on taxes and got $6k off what they were asking for a new rig.
    Got some light wear, dirty, but not in bad shape.
    Pick it up Sat as they are cleaning it and doing the paperwork with my lender.
    Last edited by jlsch1; 06-25-2018 at 05:43 PM.