Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 59tomitriton View Post
    Probably more to do with the sales tax would be my guess
    probably so...personally I am glad a tournament tax has been implemented. I realize I am in the minority when I say that but I have reasons why I like it just like people have their reasons for not liking it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    I got some pics of what I netted but I’m not sure they are what I saw the other night can’t figure out how to post pics yet but I can send them to someone to post by txt.
    Send them to me Jimbo, I will post.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt870 View Post
    Did anyone figure out what the bait balls are?
    Important question right before thread got sidetracked.

4. Member
    It seems odd that the bait balls just showed up all of a sudden. At first, I thought they had to be carp. From my understanding of the carp spawn, the conditions would have been right during February through early march. We had a lot of current in the lake during that time period. I started seeing the baitballs at the end of June which is about the same time most started seeing them. The bait I have been seeing are 1-3 inches with most being on the lower of that scale. If the carp did spawn in that high current period (February - March), wouldn't we have seen them earlier than the past 3 weeks? Again from my understanding, carp grow at a pretty good rate. Wouldn't they be bigger than 1-3 inches by now? I am no expert on the subject, but I don't think its carp. Or maybe my hope that they aren't carp has clouded my judgment.

5. Member
    I tried to snag some this weekend with a trap, but it didn't work out. I did catch some whitebass while doing that, and what they spit up were definitely shad. Can't say this is representative of the population, but I think they are predominantly shad. The bait balls are behaving like a typical shad fingerling to me.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    It seems odd that the bait balls just showed up all of a sudden. At first, I thought they had to be carp. From my understanding of the carp spawn, the conditions would have been right during February through early march.
    If anyone has any confirmed small Asian carp fry, take photos and report the location of the photos to KDFWR. They have asked repeatedly for that data so they can confirm whether or not an Asian carp spawn happened this spring.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    I tried to snag some this weekend with a trap, but it didn't work out. I did catch some whitebass while doing that, and what they spit up were definitely shad. Can't say this is representative of the population, but I think they are predominantly shad. The bait balls are behaving like a typical shad fingerling to me.
    If we can't tell the difference, the bass can't either. The bass are eating those Asian Carp fry.

8. Member
    What I netted were not carp... most were emerald shiners “bunches off them” some were what is called a black headed dace. The other I can’t identify. Buuutttt.. they were not what I was seeking two weeks ago. I went back out last nite to do some more netting but the wind kept the surface to stirred up and it was cloudy so I don’t think they were feeding on the surface. Plus I was catching a few drinks on top water and ended up burying a treble from a whopper plopped in my hand.....�� I may go back out and try again this evening..

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    If anyone has any confirmed small Asian carp fry, take photos and report the location of the photos to KDFWR. They have asked repeatedly for that data so they can confirm whether or not an Asian carp spawn happened this spring.
    With all the increased talk this year about asian carp from the state and county level and also from the department of fish and wildlife I am surprised KDFW are not doing on the water shocking surveys. It is my understanding the asian carp have not spawned for several years because there was not enough current present but this year there might have been enough present. If KDFW are concerned then why are they not doing a shocking survey and letting the public know the results...with letting the public know the results being important

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    With all the increased talk this year about asian carp from the state and county level and also from the department of fish and wildlife I am surprised KDFW are not doing on the water shocking surveys. It is my understanding the asian carp have not spawned for several years because there was not enough current present but this year there might have been enough present. If KDFW are concerned then why are they not doing a shocking survey and letting the public know the results...with letting the public know the results being important
    They are out netting Asian carp this week. They encouraged people to talk to them on the water and take a look at what's in the nets in the mornings.

They've been focused on netting crappie fry the last few weeks.

If you haven't "liked" the western kentucky fisheries page on Facebook, I highly recommend that you do.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    It's good to know they are out doing something proactive. Hopefully they find out good news. If they find out bad news I am reluctant to think they will openly share it. I can't post a like on Facebook because I don't have a facebook account...momma says facebook is the debil.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    It's good to know they are out doing something proactive. Hopefully they find out good news. If they find out bad news I am reluctant to think they will openly share it. I can't post a like on Facebook because I don't have a facebook account...momma says facebook is the debil.
    From their page...

KEEPING YOU INFORMED. Our Asian carp crew will be conducting some standardized Gillnetting for Asian carp in Kentucky Lake this week.

***TUESDAY night JONATHAN CREEK
    ****WEDNESDAY night LITTLE BEAR
    *****THURSDAY night PISGAH. <<<

Nets will be set an hour before sunset and retrieved an hour after sunrise. These nets will be marked and SUBMERGED and should not interfere with boaters.

This is a standardized routine technique we use to evaluate changes in the population over time, and to examine the size structure of the population.

If you see us out there, feel free to come over, say hi, and see what we’ve caught. Thanks again for all of your support with this nightmare of a problem.

13. Banned
    HAVE YOU SEEN YOUNG ASIAN CARP?

***HELP US by reporting sightings of small Asian carp! Small Asian carp (less than 10 inches) look VERY similar to shad. The best distinguishing factor is the CURVED lateral line on the sides of a Silver or Bighead carp.

***If you do see small (<15 inch) Asian carp, take a picture or video and if possible keep the fish on ice so that we can examine it and run tests to determine age and origin. (Young shad will also jump out of the water so a video of jumping baitfish usually isn’t good enough unfortunately).

***You can send us a message on this page at any time to report new carp sightings, or call our carp biologists at 270 759-5295.

***For more identification tips and general info about these fish go to our Asian carp webpage at
    https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Asian-C...formation.aspx.

Thanks in advance for your help!

14. Member
    Are the new schools of baitfish shad or carp?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswhippa View Post
    Are the new schools of baitfish shad or carp?
    Haven't heard. I wish I could attend the meeting today, that question will probably be answered today in the briefing with Comer.

16. Member
    The back of the bays on Barkley are cover in shad.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    I saw lots of minnows this weekend. A couple of bays where covered up with shad and bass busting them. I believe they are shad and not the carp. I plan on taking a net with me next weekend and try and get a sample. You could troll through and none where jumping. They looked to have a black tail. This is the way it used to always be in mid to late July. When the water starts dropping the shad are pulled out of the shallow hiding spots. Praying this is the beginning of the lake turn around.

18. Member
    Yeah they way they were rolling and moving in pretty sure they were Shad. And I maybe have been seeing things but I saw some with what looked to be a black dot on their side.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    Interesting.....wonder of shad migrated over to Barkley? Possibility? Barkley's water color is due to plankton abundance?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockangler View Post
    I saw lots of minnows this weekend. A couple of bays where covered up with shad and bass busting them. I believe they are shad and not the carp. I plan on taking a net with me next weekend and try and get a sample. You could troll through and none where jumping. They looked to have a black tail. This is the way it used to always be in mid to late July. When the water starts dropping the shad are pulled out of the shallow hiding spots. Praying this is the beginning of the lake turn around.
    I have seen them thick in the back of the bays on the south end of Kentucky. Also, have seen schools swim by the boat in 20 foot of water on the main lake. I really hope they are shad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123